close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Berkley Iron Silk

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by CarpFreak5328, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Ive been using this line and it appears to be pretty good. What are everybody elses take on this line. Is it worth the money?

2. I bought a spool, tried it out and only use it for backing now. Too much line memory for me, nothing really "silky" about it IMO.

3. bones

bones blah-blah-blah

ive got to agree with buzzman.also tried it out dont use it at all anymore.

4. Ok, Any suggestions on a good line, I want a low vis line like mono because I do alot of clear water fishing (I used the less visable green iron silk not the bright green) but I want it to be strong and abrasion resistent with good castability.

5. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Iron Silk is trash IMO too. I also used up the rest of mine for backing. I'm a big fan of Power Pro (moss green).

6. easternflyfisher

easternflyfisher BassHaveOvertaken

7. Looks good,I might have to give that a try. Thank you guys

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Berkly triline biggame, in low visablity green.

9. I have trouble finding that up here, but will give that a look to.

10. I had good luck with iron silk the last couple of years

11. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

"Ive been using this line and it appears to be pretty good." Just curious CarpFreak..... If you have tried it, and like it, why would you be concerned about what other people think?

12. i like the line... i use iti all the time... the thing about it, is that it doesnt work all that great until it is streched out well...the best way that i have found out how to strech the line is with a bug spinner bait or buzzbait... jus go to and area and cast them for about and hour and you should be in pretty good shape...... i found this out when i read an article in my Infishermen.... but after you haved the line streched out really good... it works really well and i wouldnt trade it for the world.... :D :D :D

13. bones

bones blah-blah-blah

i use stren super braid and when i fish clear water i use the berkley vanish as a leader.dont know if you want to use a super braid or not.i use this more for bass.since your going for heaver fish it migth not work for you but the vanish itself is a good line.

14. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I love Iron Silk. I have had no problems with it and like it a lot better than the trilene I used to use. I have never had any problems with memory though. Even with the small spool on the ultralight. I have posted my likes further in other posts, but no need to do it again. After all it is just my opinion and everyone has them.

Oh yeah, I also like the price. Not too much for me compared to other lines I have seen!

15. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've used Iron Silk, and agree that it has way too much memory. Won't mess with it again.

16. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

used it once for casting and after making one cast , cleaned up the mess and then changed spools. does work good as a backing for braided lines.

sowbelly

17. I used it for the first time last year. Yes I do like it and no I do not. I fish the Maumee quit hard during the walleye run and then again for smallmouth. Once you streched out it cast beautiful and I never had any problem with the memeory what so ever. My problem with it is fishing the river the way I do I find it need to be replaced often. For some reason it seems to break down quickly and it weakens fast. Just my $.02.

18. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Man I wonder why I have not a prob with it yet. Even on rods with older line on it. The only reason I have had to change mine is because I would get low on what was on the spool because of either snagging and breaking off or from changing lures a lot and clipping extra line off. Maybe I will get a bad experience with it some day. until it screws me over, I will stick with it.

19. Ok lets just put everything aside. Lets figure this out, Yes i do like iron silk castability wise and it has good sensitivty my big question is that since i carp and catfish all the time if its considerabilty stronger than regular mono say Trilene XL? Bass fishing is the only reason why want the low vis. I have caught quite a few carp with it with good luck but nothing big enough to give it a good test.