close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Berkley Gulp Leeches

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by tcba1987, Apr 22, 2005.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i just bought 2 packs of the new gulp leeches, one black and one pumpkinseed colored. has anyone tried these yet for smallmouth or eyes ?? i visualize them being awesome on a split shot rig or even texas rigged with a small wide gap gamakatsu hook.

2. i dont have the leaches but ive been using the 3 inch minnow shad all week and have landed some nice bass, the best one I didnt land but i fished it in a pond both w/ bullet sinker and w/o any weight, I thought b/c of the H20 temp I should work it slow, almost making my self letting it sit on the bottom and jigging it very slowly. I cought the same amount using both methods. Also the earthworm in a jar berkley bait are awsome I sat and cought one gill after another today w/ bobber and on bottom. I have fished the shartrouse minnow and 6 inch night crawler this week w/o a hit and a shartrouse and orange headed roadrunner w/o a hit.

3. I haven't tried the Gulp leeches, but have tried the 6" crawlers and 4" worms.
    In fact, last evening I had an unbelievable experience with the crawlers. I was fishing two poles - one with a bobber and the other casting with a chartreuse Gulp nightcrawler. I had cast out the Gulp when I started to get some bobber action, so I kinda propped up the casting pole between my legs and was tending to the bobber. After a full TWO MINUTES of just sitting there on the bottom with the Gulp I felt two hard tugs and then the bait and hook were gone! There was no current or anything to make the Gulp move - it was like the smell itself did the trick. The moral here is that if you're going to use a Gulp then do a better job tying the hook than I must have done. :eek:

4. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have had good luck with the dark green gulp worms that have a fish-looking head on them ( don't know what they are actually called). They have a very strong smell that the LM bass just love. I fished them with the texas rig and weightless. Both worked good it just depends on the body of water. One note: Make sure you zip the worms up and don't leave them lay out b/c they will shrivel up to nothing and loose all of their moisture.