close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Below Delaware

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ying6, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Hey guys...
    my new job enables me to head up to Delaware in about 3 minutes and I have been trying to figure out where the saugeyes are. Well, I am stumped. I went below the spillway last night and fished in probably 2-3 feet of water and it was snag city. Not sure if that is where most of you fish but it is quite a difference in what I am used to fishing.
    I packed up and went down stream to the next bridge and fished a little dam and felt like that might be a little better but again, shut out without even a tap. - Just wondering if the fishing is normally that difficult or do I need to try another location... you don't have to be specific by any means but if you could just give a direction I would appreciate it!
    ying

2. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Ying,
    The gates to the dam have been open only a couple times in the past 2 months. While some eyes live below the dam, most live in the river, and swim upstream to feed when the dam is open and putting out water. Just like you said, there is only a couple feet of water, and they are not there.
    I would check farther down the river for now. When they start drawing the resovoir water down for winter, the fishing will pick up then until the end of the year. I personally would like to float the stretch of water from the little dam you fished down to Mingo(?) Park, I'm sure eyes are holding up in here.
    Rob

3. I have to figure out where that is. I am teaching at hayes now and actually end up having many nights were I just want to get out of there around 4 and find a place to land a few nice fish before heading home. Not looking to keep anything, just want to fish.
    - I normally work a minnow along the bottom but I am wondering if this method would work in the creek. Also, does anyone use rouges?

4. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Lures will work in the creek.
    I normally use Rogues, Husky Jerks, or Rattle Traps in the river and below the dam. Just use 30/6 braided line so I don't lose lures. The will also bit on twister tails, minnows, sometimes crawlers. But I never use live bait in rivers or below the dam. Jerk baits and crank baits are all I throw. I figure they see about 5,000 twister tails a year, so I like the other methods.
    Finding some holes along the river may be tough, especially without a canoe....but it will pay off with some nice fish if you are able to. A lot of that stretch is pvt property too, and prolly sees little pressure.