close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Belleville/Racine area water quality??

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by FISHDAD95, Mar 30, 2008.

1. My son and I want to head down to the Big O Tuesday morning for three days while he is on Spring Break and was trying to determine if it going to be worth the 2 1/2 hour drive?? We will be fishing for any thing that is biting. Just love the multi species oppurtunity that the river holds!! We usually come down in mid to late May but have missed the Sauger and striper action the last couple of years. I have checked levels and they don't look took bad but what about clarity?? Give it to me straight!!

Thanks
    Fishdad

2. River looked good today around Belpre. Didn't go down and look at the ramp though.

3. Buckeye1955

Buckeye1955 Marietta River Runner

http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=rlx&gage=mtao1

This is the river level link I use. I'd call the clarity 50%. Not real muddy, but not clear. High though. The Williamstown,Wv ramp and parking lot are completely under water. Supposed to drop slowly over the next several days. Current isn't running too bad. Water temp is 45 degrees when I checked it at the plant today.

4. water went down last night almost 2 feet in Marietta, so the williamstown boat ramp should be accessable now.

5. Buckeye1955

Buckeye1955 Marietta River Runner

Yep, two trucks and trailers in there tonight when I crossed the bridge. Pretty slimy though! Nice looking knife! I'll take a look at your website. Got knives in every drawer of the house, but you can never have enough!

6. Thanks for the info-looks like we will give it a shot. We will be at forked run state park-focussing on the belleville and racine tail waters. Will post an update on how we did.

7. Well we got done there Tuesday and the river was definately higher then what I'm used to, but managed to get the boat in and picked up a bunch of little saugers with only one keeper--Tuesday night. Back at it next morning working the lock walls and all small ones. They sure are great bait stealers!!
    After lunch finally worked out a pattern that started catching some larger ones. Ended up with 6 over 15inches and a couple decent sized hybrids. That afternoon the sun was out and the water on the lock side warmed up to 48 degrees-I think that is what did it. The next morning we hit a creek mouth that was stacked with fish but only got two to bite and eneded up at the locks and did REALLY well until noon then the wind shifted and blew strong and my son was getting fished out and quite tired of those little cigars getting his bait!!
    Thanks to all for the info--I really love that river just wish it wasn't so far away but will be back down in May to have some fun with the catfish!!

keep it reeling
    Fishdad

8. Glad you had some luck. let us know when you head back down.

9. The water level figures on the prediction sites, is that in feet above sea level? Like Maldahl dam, normal pool is 12 feet