Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The end is near
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure everybody has heard about the explosion today that has killed hundreds and injured thousands.
I understand it started in a fireworks factory and spread to an adjacent building for the second explosion.
Well here's an interesting factoid I heard. There was 2,700 TONS of ammonium nitrate in that second explosion. To put that in perspective, I heard Timothy McVeigh used 2 tons of the same stuff in the Oklahoma bombing of the federal bldg. :eek:

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Sound heard 200 miles away. I bet there are some deaf people in Beirut.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
apparently the second explosion was a building where the government had been storing confiscated explosives for years.

Reactions: Lazy 8

·
The end is near
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just heard around 100 killed and 4,000 injured. The blast was felt 130 miles away. They prolly thought it was armageddon.
Who's the one who thought it was safe to store 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate beside a fireworks factory? Hmm, fireworks aren't volatile. James had it right above.^^^

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I'm sure everybody has heard about the explosion today that has killed hundreds and injured thousands.
I understand it started in a fireworks factory and spread to an adjacent building for the second explosion.
Well here's an interesting factoid I heard. There was 2,700 TONS of ammonium nitrate in that second explosion. To put that in perspective, I heard Timothy McVeigh used 2 tons of the same stuff in the Oklahoma bombing of the federal bldg. :eek:
For a period of my brilliant transportation career, I hauled tank loads of the stuff from Augusta, GA, to a powder plant in McArthur, OH. Occasionally, they’d be testing the finished product while I was unloading & the earth would SHAKE.

·
The end is near
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For a period of my brilliant transportation career, I hauled tank loads of the stuff from Augusta, GA, to a powder plant in McArthur, OH. Occasionally, they’d be testing the finished product while I was unloading & the earth would SHAKE.
Can you say...volatile?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Another perfect example of media sensationalizing every single story it gets their hands on. This was world news a few days ago. Go out to any of the news media sites today, and you won't find a single update on their websites. CNN, FOX, all of them.

I am so very sick of our media, I really am. They latch onto a story, shove it down our throats, and then move to the next thing. I miss the days when news was news. Facts, not someone's opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts