close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beginning Fisherman - Help!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by browneye, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Hi all. I am so excited as I caught the fishing bug last year after spending the day on Kentucky Lake during a Memorial Day family reunion. I was only able to fish once after that at East Fork, but vowed this year to start. I have already booked a rental home at Kentucky Lake the last weekend of April! I have been reading like crazy to try to learn what gear to use, lures, etc, as well as when and where the fish are during what time of year. I am trying my best to learn, but now I am REALLY wanting to do some fishing. The weather hasn't been great, but I intend on going out this weekend but I have no idea where to fish around here from the bank. My buddy has a brand new Nitro Z-7 so we'll be hitting Brookville and East Fork when it's nicer out, but I need practice now. Any advice???? I kind of want to try the lower part of the GMR. I live in the West Side of cincy.

Thanks!!

2. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Welcome aboard! All I can say is good luck with your new addiction. It will cause irritation, blurred vision, chronic lying, hours of frustation, unneccessary spending, family issues and chronic lateness. The only cure is more fishing!!!

3. creeksmallie

creeksmallie Member

What species are you fishing for?

4. really anything. I want to primarily work on bass, but sauger, walleye, crappie are all welcome. Man, I just want to fish and figure out how to work different bait and conditions. i understand as it's colder now, pickins are slim, but just give me a tip or two and I'll be happy. thanks!

5. First welcome aboard. Second no better teacher than practice. You have come to the right place, there is lots of good info on here. As for fishing this time of year. you can be successful, GMR is good from what has been said just watch the water heights, and remember this time of year fish arent hungry most will strike in anger rather than hunger. I dont know much about the GMR but East Fork I can help you there. If you have any questions just ask

6. You may want to consider concentrating on bass for starters. Bass are a great fighting fish and can be found in a variety of habitat. Lake Erie, Inland Lakes, Farm Ponds, Rivers and Streams. You can pursue them from shore, wading, in a boat or float tubes. They can be cooperative at times and uncooperative at other times so you will get varying degrees of experience. You can pretty much get by on a single rod and reel to start plus a small assortment of lures. Bass will also readily respond to live bait. Most people practice catch and release with bass which is good as so many pursue them. On top of that, bass are not the best of table fare when compared to walleye, perch, bluegill or crappie. Good luck and be sure to post some pictures.:)

7. I've heard of a lot of guys catching catfish on the ohio near warm water discharges this time of year, but I've never been there myself. If you don't mind driving up to Dayton, I can give you a few places to try, but it's too early for most of them. Good luck!!!

8. creeksmallie

creeksmallie Member

The GMR has good fishing all over. This time of year you may want to try for smallmouth bass and saugeye. Both can be caught with numerous types of bait, but it seems like on the GMR they are being caught mostly with jigs. You want to fish slowly because like paston1 stated, fish are not feeding agressively right now. If you fish slow and be patient you will be surprised what you might find on the end of your pole. Lack of patience is what turns most people off when it comes to fishing, especially in the winter months. Don't get discuraged though, keep on trying new things and eventually you will be giving me advice. Good luck.

9. iteech

iteech Shebasser

First of all...Welcome, Browneye! You should read this forum daily--you'll get your best hints strictly from that. If the daily posts are the only guidance or leads you get, it will be plenty. Promise. These guys are awesome! Be aware that people usually won't give you specific information, which is appropriate. No one wants to give away their Honey Hole! Trust me, you'll soon have your own HH's...we all do, and they were all discovered the same way--personal exploration. Don't be tempted to "share"...it's nice, but the next time you go there, there'll be 25 guys standing in your spot. People are always willing to give you general info, though--and that's enough. If you know anyone living in local housing sections less than 15 years old, ask them can you fish in their plat's pond. Sometimes (not always) these little ponds have a healthy population of bass and cats. I've been fishing one near me where my good friends live for 4 years now...I don't usually go during the winter, but summer/spring/fall will find me parked in my chair twice weekly or so and pullin' in the nice bass--I almost always caught 5-6 bass and 2-3 cats in a 2-hour stay; often the bass were over 3 pounds. Last summer I landed a 19-lb cat. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE. I recommend that for most of your fishing. Check out county and city ponds--such as the little lake in the Kettering Recreation Center complex. I have always caught something there. Sometimes they surprise you! Get on the internet and find them...just use the name of your city or surrounding cities and put "recreation" after the name--they'll come up. I cannot think of the name of it, but there's a really nice little city bass lake on your side of cincy--help me out here guys, I went blank. Just ask and go and see and ride and look and ask some more...if you'll go to bait shops (anywhere!) they will put you on to wherever the 'good ones' are being caught. There's so many sources, but this will be mostly self-discovery. And congratulations--you've just caught the world's most desirable disease. Buckle your seat belt, friend--and get ready to ROCK OUT on the most fun you will ever have with all your clothes on. (HINT: if you "convert" the wife and kids, you'll have even more fun...);) Tight lines to you, and :B

10. Wow. Thanks for the insight! I should have thought about that idea of the "Honey Hole". I wish I wouldn't have waited until I was in my 30's to pick up fishing, but seems like a good enough time now that I have a little one running around. The bar scene doesn't quite fulfill me as it once did. I love the strategy and use of patience while fishing, and I of course love the nature and relaxation. I will be using this forum as much as possible and will surely keep you in the know as I catch my first fish of the year. I have an idea of where I'll start on the GMR, but to get my line wet I may check out Lake Isabella this weekend. Again, thanks!

11. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

If I were you I would head to a dam on the Ohio River and go after sauger/saugeye/walleye. If you can deal with the cold weather you will have some good success down there. There always seem to be people fishing these dams and just going out and picking up various techniques and talking to people is the key. Pick up some jig heads (1/8oz - 3/8oz), and some twister tails (chartruese, white, & pink). Use as light as a jig head you can to allow you to just be able to feel the bottom, retrieve very slowly and I promise you will catch some fish. The have a very soft bite and this will help improve your feel as well. To me this is the prime time of the year for big eyes on the Ohio. As the weather improves and the water temps climb throw some slab spoons for wipers and you will be hooked and frustrated for life. Good Luck!