Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I are looking to adapt a new dog. Many county APL's are still closed or are very limited. Volunteer organizations are great but our experience the past month has been either the dog we're interested in is already adapted or we get no response at all from them. Thought I would reach out to the OGF community for help. Looking for a young (3yrs or younger) dog. M/F is OK. Vet checked/shots/healthy. Under 30lbs. when fully grown. Smoother coat (some shedding OK). Must be good with one cat in the house. NE Ohio but willing to travel! Any additional questions or leads feel free to PM me. Thx! ;)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Going through the same thing here. I've inquired about two rescues and both weren't available. The application for the one was crazy...thought I was signing paperwork for a loan, so many questions. I understand their side, they want to see the dogs go to a good home. We're looking for something similar, preferably a lab or lab mix, so a bigger pooch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,930 Posts
So my wife and I are looking to adapt a new dog. Many county APL's are still closed or are very limited. Volunteer organizations are great but our experience the past month has been either the dog we're interested in is already adapted or we get no response at all from them. Thought I would reach out to the OGF community for help. Looking for a young (3yrs or younger) dog. M/F is OK. Vet checked/shots/healthy. Under 30lbs. when fully grown. Smoother coat (some shedding OK). Must be good with one cat in the house. NE Ohio but willing to travel! Any additional questions or leads feel free to PM me. Thx! ;)
Not much to choose from now.
https://www.rescuevillage.org/adopt/adoptable-dogs/

Reactions: dugworm

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find it odd with so many strays and abandoned dogs that it would be such a complicated process to get one from a shelter.
Yea. You would think the whole process would be simpler and dogs would be available. But that's not the case at all. Still looking for that perfect mutt. Reach out to your friends/relatives/coworkers. There has to be some great dogs that need great homes. Thx. ;)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Local shelters or petfinder.com.
Should lots out there. Usually lots of pit mixes though.
Yup. I've tried both. My experience with both is that they don't return phone calls or emails or the dog you're interested is already gone. Seems like they don't keep their websites updated. Not slamming them by any means. They do a great service. Just hasn't worked out for me. ;)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Recently donated about 25 old blankets and an equal amount of sheets and throw rugs to our local shelter, and almost every pen looked to be full.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The best luck we have had is by getting out and visiting the shelters frequently. Timing is everything. Plus, it never hurts to make face to face contact and let them know you are looking.
Many of them are requiring an appointment to visit...making timing a bit more difficult. I'm just starting my search, so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
We took dog food in once a month to the two shelters in Lancaster. One visit with the dog food at the shelter new 3 yr old dog was there. She looked so pitiful we signed the papers that day. Turns out her owner became homeless, and the brother of said owner would not accept the dog in his house. We certainly do not have the full story. Dog is excessively afraid of Males. Dog will not leave my wife's side. Like Glue. Point is, keep looking and please try to rescue a mutt from the pound.

·
Registered
310 Posts
We lost our beloved Zowe this spring and really miss her friendship, love, and the security she provided our home. We are ready to add back to our family but the local shelters will not let you in without an appointment. What makes this so bad is that when you do set an appointment, that appointment is to see ONE DOG ONLY. You must come back another day with another appointment to see any other animal. Ridiculous. Who can do that? I wonder how many wonderful dogs have had to be put down due to these absurd rules.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
that appointment is to see ONE DOG ONLY. You must come back another day with another appointment to see any other animal. Ridiculous. Who can do that? I wonder how many wonderful dogs have had to be put down due to these absurd rules.
Before we Adopted Marniee.. we were looking at dogs in the pound. We had to make an appointment but we could see as many as we wanted.

I dont know how many Pounds resort to Euthanasia. I wouldnt think in todays world it is that many.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts