close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

been looking for a new tv

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bones, Feb 15, 2008.

1. bones

bones blah-blah-blah

i've been looking for a new tv i don't no the difference between lcd and plasma.i need something thats going to last at least5 years(hoping for 7 to 10).i hear stories of burn in and things like that.any help would be appreciated.also would you buy something like this from ebay?

2. no ebay...if I'm spending that kinda money i'd rather spend a few hundred more and know it's legit.

Burn-in isn't really much of an issue anymore. It went away with the old projector gun style big-screens.

LCD looks great with an HD signal but no so great otherwise.
    Plasma looks pretty good with both and their reliability issues have been supposedly been worked out.

DLP(or a variation of such) is the way to go for my money...super-clean, bright HD picture. Excellent standard resolution picture and still relatively light and small as compared to traditional rear projection sets.

Go to the store and have a look at these:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...84834/catOid/-12870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Mits...86037/catOid/-12870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...94336/catOid/-12870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I have a Mitsu, my father has the 3LCD Sony and my uncle has the 60" SXRD Sony. I think the picture on the Mitsu is better than the others but really, I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

These are projections TV's but unlike the old projection TV's they are a sealed system and therefore do not require periodic cleaning. The projector bulbs last well over 5 years and are replaceable when they go out for under $500. These sets are meant to be placed atop some sort of media stand. They are relatively lightweight and although they aren't wall mountable like an LCD or plasma screen the demensions aren't all that deep....for example the 50" Sony is only 12.6 inches deep. They also don't have delicate LCD pixels that could burn out at any time. They will actually fit inside of many armoirs which were inteded to hide smaller tube-style tv's.

To me...it's more about picture quality, price and reliability than the ability to mount on the wall and look super-trendy. The sets that I listed above have truely amazing all-around picture quality and cost a TON less than a similar sized LCD from the same manufacturer.

3. I bought a sony 1080 pixel lcd. When i went to the stores "best buy / hh gregg" ect. I felt sorta of put down by some of the youngsters (salespeople) as if I should know all this. I found a site called HD GURU . Ithought I had dumb questions. They have people sending in all kinds of questions, many of them are the same i had. To me it was a very informative site. They even rate the quality of tv's. brand vs other brands.. wish you luck. Take your time because it is a lot of money but to me worth it.

4. Ok - I just went through this same exact thing and let me tell you all that I know and found out - hope this helps.

First off - I bought a 50" plasma 780 from circuit city and for $100 more got an awesome panasonic 5 disk dvd/cd surround sound system (went in the basement as I already have a nice surround sound system upstairs). All for under $1,500.

I decided on plasma - because for everyday viewing and movies - especially watching sports, plasma is better. IF you are a "gamer" - meaning play video games for more than 8 hours a day on it - then go LCD.

ALSO - keep in mind that NOTHING out now (except hi def or blu ray) projects in more than 780. buying a 1080 will do you no more good than a 780 unless you have a blu ray or hi def dvd player. This might change in the future - but for right now, cable and dish both produce in 780.

that was my deciding factor in going with the 780 - they are cheaper than 1080's currently.

I LOVE my tv - it's so unbelievable compared to my 52" rear projection that I can't even describe it. My kids and I watch movies (like CARS) and are simply amazed at the difference in picture quality. My rear projection was HD ready too - and I have HD from my cable company - and the picture difference on those is unreal too........

hope this helps.........

5. Just got one, too. Bought a 1080P Philips 42" LCD and love it. I thought the plasma had a nice picture, but I didn't go that route.

I read up online about plasmas and the one negative is they have glass screens and if your living room has alot of windows, you'll be watching window reflections for the next 15 years.

Had an old projection before the LCD and that very thing drove me nuts. LCD's = no glare

Good luck with your purchase. I highly recomment Sam's Club. I checked all the major chains and Sam's Club was the cheapest.

6. bones

bones blah-blah-blah

sounds like i am not the only one with questions.this stuff is confusing.im going to check out the hd guru.i think its going to be dlp or plasma im not a "gamer" maybe for a hour here or there but never for 8 hours.right now im leaning more toward the plasma(down the road i would like to hang it on the wall)but im not ruling out dlp.at 13"thick i could make a shelf and get the same effect.thanks

7. bones

bones blah-blah-blah

every one i have talked to never said anything about glare.i do have some windows thats something else to keep in mind.thanks basscrazy

8. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

My plasma came with a non glare screen. works great.

9. This is an example of why asking for opinions on sites not relevant to the subject matter can get you in trouble. Go do some research on places like avs forums etc and get the right info. Just substitute everything skafer said with 720 not 780. As far as nothing being broadcast in 1080... that's not true. Even crappy cable HD feeds can be viewed in 1080i, just not 1080p - no one currently has the bandwidth to do this.. That of course is with them compressing the image and sound. Dish and Direct TV don't compress most of their HD feeds. Almost all but the cheapest/off-brand companies can do 1080i. Paying for true 1080p capabilites are only worth it if you're going to be play video games, watching blu-rays or hd-dvds, using your set as a pc monitor. If you do decide you do need TRUE 1080p, be careful lots of tv's claim 1080p but can't truely do it. Just do the research.. This kind of thread or even this post could go on forever. Find a few resources and research some tv's you like, go to the store and see which one looks best to you and fit your wallet the best.

10. Thanks, Yanks I did mean 720, and not 780.......slip of the fingers and mind.

BUT - I have a buddy that is the manager of the TV section at Best Buy and I got that information directly from him before I bought mine.........

Also - I've got floor to ceiling windows in my living room - and have never had any problem with glare...........

I don't see how a company can "claim" 1080P, but not produce? Seems fishy to me.......

ALSO - another thing to keep in mind: be careful when you go to buy your tv - that what they are playing on that tv isn't blu ray or hi def......that will make a HUGE difference, if you don't know they are playing them and you take it home and expect the same quality.......just won't be there.

11. bones

bones blah-blah-blah

thanks for the info ive have been going to tech sites also, and i think im more confused now that before i started.seems like each one has pros and cons.i have been looking mostly online but i think i will just have to go and see the differences for myself.i just dont alway trust salespersons.

12. i just bought a 50" 1080p dlp by samsung.and i love it..from what i understand 720 is the same thing as 1080i. 1080p is from what i think is the best route, because even tho cable doesnt brodcast in it yet.they will in a couple of years and i always like to stay ahead of the curve.why get 720 when it will be outdated soon and youll have to upgrade...ya know? just my opinion

13. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I am also going through the decision making process about which kind to purchase. It can be confusing.:confused: Just the other day we went to Circuit City and I became even more confused. Everything looks great compared to what I was used to.:D I have been watching a 27" for several years and was thinking a 40" would be big enough but after seeing it next to the 50s" it looks small:D

14. Yeah - that almost makes sense........in a couple of years a 50" plasma will be about $500 at best.......there'll always be newer, better, bigger and more expensive tv's in the future.......get what you can afford NOW and work with what's out there.

If you don't have blu-ray - then WHY get a 1080p??? You'll just be wasting your money.

this is my .02$.......

15. I work in the electronics dept at a local Sears so I sell TVs all day long. The decision of plasm vs. LCD is really up to you. With plasma you will be able to to get more colors than LCD, over 20+ billion plasma can produce. If you play games, X-box, playstation, Wii, I would skip on the plasma. Image retention isn't a big thing anymore, but can still happen. Depending on the size of the TV you want will make your decision for you also. You can get an LCD in almost any size, we only carry plasma from 42"-58". I am not big on DLP TVs. They are a quality tv but are still rear projection which will only give you a 70 degree viewing angle, where with plasma and LCD you can get up to 178 degree viewing angle. Check out consumer report, lots of reviews of tvs. Don't get caught up in all the numbers either, contrast ratios, screen Hrz, 720p, 1080i, 1080p. The only thing that will broadcast 1080p is HD DVDs and Blu-ray. HD signals from sat. and cable are all in 1080i and if you get a 720p it will upconvert to 1080i. You wont be able to get 1080p through your cable or sat until they utilize fiber optic cables. I have heard anywhere from a few years to upwards of 8-10 years. That is why when you go into a store alot of the TVs whether they at 720p or 1080p will look identical on an HD signal. That is uausally why they dont put 720p and 1080p of the same brand next to each other.

Jake

16. On a side note, most places you look will be running an HD signal of some sort. At Sears, we have a HD signal on all our display TVs, on one TV we have a Blu-ray hooked up, one we have an HD DVD player, and on one we have an HD antenna. If you arent going to be getting HD and wanna see what the TV looks like on regular cable, have them take it off the HD channel onto the cable channel. On our TVs the HD runs on 14-1 but the cable for it is on channel 3. I do it all the time for customers that dont have HD at home so they dont get the shock that their picture isnt as crisp and clear as it was in the store. If they say they cant do it, they are full of it. Good luck, it can be overwhelming. I always tell people to go with what you feel comfortable with and what picture you like best. Don't let a salesperson talk you into something because they like it or make more comission off of it.

Jake

17. Thanks Jake - you just confirmed basically everything I said in an earlier post........glad to see I'm not off my rocker on all this.

By the way - I used your (sears) ad to price match at circuit city......got a GREAT deal on a tv AND surround sound!! Thanks!!!!

18. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

Just bought a Sony 50" SXRD rear projection and I am in love with it. I been looking at this tv for about 3 years since they first came out when the price was originally 2500.00. I read alot of reviews on all different TV's and this one seem to have the highest ratings and minimal dislikes. I actually found this TV at Krogers and paid 1200.00 with the matching stand, (1000.00 off) with the use of your Kroger card. That by far was the cheapest I seen it anywhere, closest I found was 1600.00 TV only at HH Gregg. Lots of options and opinions out there , just make sure you get what you want. I tried to get a 42" LCD when my mind was set on the SXRD, ended up not liking it and taking it back... 6 weeks later I ran into the deal I got.

Sowbelly

19. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

LCD is great in various lighting conditions. Plasma is great in a darker room.

I've had both, currently have a 42" Panasonic plasma. no burn issues. I like it. No blurring, my X360 looks great on it. 720p is fine for most applications.