close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bed Fishing Baits?

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by Procraftboats21, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

What are some of your favorite baits to catch those hawgs off the nest?
    I usualy throw a brush hog or a lizard in a natural color, sometimes a bright color if the bed is tough to see. After reading the article in Bassmasters last month I want to try the sweet beaver baits that Ish Monroe uses. Anyone tried these yet?

2. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

I like to throw a tube or lizard this year I am gonna try a shallow drop shot rig.
    I have heard of guys throwing cranksbaits at beds and snagging bass I think that is wrong what do you guys think?

3. Procraftboats21

yeah it goes on alot, they catch them right on the side of the face to make it look like a legal catch. I don't feel right about doing something like that. Bed fishing is one of the most challenging things to master, when you catch a good fish off a bed fairly, you should have a since of pride.

4. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

Who makes sweet beavers.
    Yum

Don't forget about a senko or floating worm for bedding bass.

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I like a tube or jig. To many times I've seen a bass pick up the tail of a worm or lizard and carry it out of the nest. Either that or maybe trying to add a hook near the tail.

6. I'd rather not fish for bedding fish if possible. Have you ever noticed how the bass will chase away the little bluegill? They can't even get close to the beds. Therefore i like to use things that imitate bluegills, whether it be a tube, finesse baits, etc.

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i've thrown cranks around bed, it's not snagging if the bass hits, which alot of the time they do.

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I haven't fished bedding bass since my parents moved away form Lake ForK, Texas.

If you are familiar with this lake it is famous for it's quality bass fishing, and BIG bass. There are over 300 guides that work Fork. In the spring most of them are booked everyday.

My parents lived in a cove that was great for spawning bass and very popular with the guides. It was not unusual to have 6-10 boats working the bay at the same time. There was one stretch that was about 100 yds long right behind the boat house that I could just sit in our boat in the boat house watch all of the guides with their clients only a boat length away fishing the beds between the boathouse and the bank. These same fish would get caught numerous times daily. The best part was when a guide would return each day with a different client to catch the same bass over and over again. The guide would already know the weight of a fish when his client would catch it, because he had already weighed it 3 times the previous 3 days for other clients, but he would still get out the scale and weigh it for them and act like it was the first time ever.

Anyway, the reason that I mention this is to relate the amount of pressure shallow visible beds get on this lake in the spring. We also fished some of the bedding fish around this bay. You had to offer something a little different or have tons of patience with same old, same old.

I found 3 baits that worked extremely well on this lake. A 4" power lizard, melon/chartreuse with a weighted hook to allow it to fall in a horizontal position. A bright pink bubblegum worm rigged on the same hook, and a Mann's baby minus one crankbaits in blue gill color. These baits caught bunches and bunches of bass on the beds in extremely high pressured areas.

9. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Something to keep in mind... Fish that are sitting on their bed aren't in the "feeding" mode.. they are in their "Protective" mode. So basically any bait presented that makes the fish feel that the nest/fry are being threatened will cause a reaction strike. I think in this situation that the color choice would be more of a factor than size. Hopefully anyone that catches a bedding bass will release it so it can go back to tend to its eggs/fry.

10. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I'm sure that every lake and situation is and can be different with different preferred baits based upon all of the various factors that play into bait effectiveness.

At fork, size was very much one of the basics in the formula for success. I believe this to be only because these fish got beaten to death daily with big tubes and lizards, from all of the guides boats. Down sizing in this lake, at this time, made a huge difference in the success.

Every lake and situation will be different, there are just way too many variables from lake to lake to have it any other way. You'll need to find what works for you, in your lake, on that particular day. To me, that's what so fun about fishing

11. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

I like using a plastic salamander too...seems to work pretty well. Basically anything that annoys them enough to hit it i will try.

12. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

I like a jig and tube also. Lizzards and worms are great but, the fish have a hard time getting hooked so I like to add a trailor hook to my plastics worms when fishing for bedding bass. By doing this the hooking percentage increases.

13. In the strip mines the visability was as high as the banks you walked on. Spot fishin was as good as it gets if your prepared for a hike! Some where 30+
    in long! You would notice the big boys cruzzin the shore and wouldnt hit a thing. Try the night bite! :eek: They love to just run the banks. Some of the fish were
    noticed chasing the gills off the beds and I found that the bait that stayed in the zone of two feet won the battle. The texas rig with the sent. Color was optional on water color. I once threw at a 9# for a half hour watching him
    hit the different lures and the worm let him strike it more than once as the jigging threatened his nest.

14. I usually start with a creature, tube, or floating worm when trying to get bedding bass to bite. Then follow that up with a crankbait or small swimbait if they won't hit or hook-up on the initial offers. The creaturess and tubes are usually enough to irritate the bass but it's often the crank that gets them to bite (hooked in the mouth, not snagged). Lipless cranks seem to work really well for this. Ya just got to tick them off a bit first.

One thing I've noticed is that most fish have a breaking point to how much irritation they'll put up with when gaurding a nest. If you bug them too much they will leave the nest and won't come back for quite a while. I've found it better to try to get the fish to bite for a while and if it won't hook-up relatively quickly, leave it alone and let it calm down then go back to that fish later and try to hook it again.

Steve

15. I just read the post about Sweet beavers, a company called Reaction Innovations makes them, they also have a smaller version called the Smallie beaver and they have a few good wacky worm and dropshot baits. I bought a few packs of both, but you can find a guy on e-bay that makes knock offs of them and he sells them 25 to a pack, bought some of those as well. I used them last year at the end of the season and the bass seem to really like to hang on to the wide ribbed body.

16. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

You've got to be freaking kidding me !!!! LMAOAOAOAOAO

17. Procraftboats21

If you have a problem with bed fishing take it somewhere else, don't try to start stuff.

18. Alwsfishin

LMAOAOAOAOAO !!!!!!!!! I didn't mean to hurt you feelings...........

19. Alwsfishin

OK OK I apologize fir pickin on you .........but bed fishin is the most assinine way to get fish in the boat.....rippin them off their bed.....because of their instinct to protect their spawn.....and your callin me the a**hole.....surely a seasoned tourny basser like yourself can come up with a more logical pattern to satisfy your urge to have 5 in the well... :rolleyes: