close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beaver Creek Flooded

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Procraftboats21, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

Beaver Creek State Park and some surrounding roads are closed today due to some MAJOR flooding. I've never seen it this high, what a sight to see.

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

The USGS stream flow data says the river peaked out at 12,000 cfm a couple hours ago. That is about the highest I've seen it on the graph. I have seen it get to 10,000 before, but not over. The normal cfm this time of year is 200-400.

I canoe it in the spring when the cfms are around 1,000-1,700. They are measured near the mouth in E Liverpool. I canoe the middle fork from Lisbon to Fredrickstown (rte 170/171?) right before the river goes into the "gorge rapids" section. They will tear my canoe up at that 1,000+ cfm mark! No more posts from me if I try that! The middle fork is too shallow and rocky to canoe at less than 800 cfm at the mouth. But even at 1,000+, that stream is flowin' hard! It gets tough about 5-10 river miles south of Lisbon. The river is one continuous rapid twisting and turning through floodplain areas and you get slmmed into logs and dirt banks/cliffs. Very tough to canoe, but a BLAST! Been thrown out many a time...no injuries yet though! :rolleyes:

3. Be Safe Austin. I saw Lisbon on the news tonight and what a mess it was. The storms so far tonight have missed us here in Damascus. We did get 5" of rain last night/this morning though.

4. Procraftboats21

I will Bill, the creek and the river will be un fishable for atleast a week but probably more.

5. We sure got hit hard in Columbiana County. I am glad I live up on a hill about 3 miles from Rogers.

6. Procraftboats21

Lisbon got the worst of it, 9 homes were lost and a few cars but no one was seriously injured.

7. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Let me guess, the houses that were destroyed were the ones underneath the rte 30 bridge. I launch at that little park down below the bridge, at the base of a small overhead dam. There is this little dirt road that goes along the river and I decided to drive down it one time. I could not believe that there were houses down in this gorge under the bridge practically. Very poor area. On the map I think the place is called Logtown.

Those HAVE to be the houses. So close to the river. Dumb place to build.