Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have moved boat from western basin over to Beaver Creek.
We have been out the last 2 weekends and did poorly....
3 eyes and a scary ride sat the 12 and even scarier ride last Saturday!
Went just east of sandbar last Sunday-- trolling dipsey's and spoons.
Got skunked! There were plenty of charter boats but most were complaining.
Lots of marks nothing in boat!
Any one familar with Beaver, area? Would apreciate info on eyes and perch.
Frustrated! Erie-eyes

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Mayflies have a lot to do with the fishing right now.The Eyes maynot be on a good bite tell fall again but the Steelheat should hit the east side of the bar soon.The perch will start when the flies are done.It's time to play on the boat for a few weeks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Walleye bite usually peaks in July. WE've had a cool spring.A lot of walleyes are still in the far western basin. They will move down when the water warms,up there.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Erie eyes~
I was working Lorain area yesterday (6/27) and picked 6 eyes... 17" to 23". Had to work hard but cover lotsa water and pay attention to your radio (Ch.79). I was working an area 5.5 miles almost due north of Lorain Harbor (don't remember the #'s offhand but have them stored as waypoint... if you really need them). Fish were on bottom and tried many different colors. Most guys were using anything with gold (ie. monkey puke, confusion, etc.). Believe it or not, our best color was a fire tiger with white back. Also used a firetiger "flutter spoon"... slightly bigger than the small stinger. Speed was 2.5 - 2.7. Big dipseys set on #3 at 120 back and #2 at 100 back. Most marks were on bottom or real close to it (48 ft.). Not everyone was getting fish and some were doing better than I was. The key for me was hearing a guy say to his buddy on the radio to "stay inside the orange boat". I figured how many orange boats could there be. His signal seemed clear and I figured he was not too far off. Scanning the horizon I found an orange boat about a half mile south of me. Trolled over to it and found a small pocket of active fish. Worked the area for awhile and picked 4 to end the morning. So, as I say, listen to your radio. Many times I've found fish that way. Often, you can be close to fish but never quite find the active fish.
Hang in there! Lorain is a great fishing location. There are years when the walleyes are only 5 to 7 miles out and there thru August. EARLY morning and late afternoon are almost always best... I've found. Often seems to be a dead time between noon to 5 p.m. or so (but not always). The best walleye baits are "patience" and "changing programs" til you find the one that the walleyes want. Hope this helps!
Good luck,
Eyeangler1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts