close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bears in Southwest Ohio..............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by catking, Jul 16, 2004.

1. catking

catking Banned

Hey guys and gals. A couple years or so ago I heard through the grapevine that the ODNR was trying to re-introduce black bears back into southern Ohio, and that they have been for a few years. Well, there have been 3-4 reported in the past month. One had cubs, and now I just heard one female was spotted in Highland county :eek: I know bears can make it to SE Ohio and NE Ohio from Pennslyvania & West Virginia, but Highland and Adams county??? I smell a rat ;) Seems like the " Rumor " might be a fact. CATKING

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Sure seems possible to me, after all Sasquatch has been sighted in Southwest Ohio and Indiana, so why not bears? :D :D

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Bears have been in the Hocking Co. Area and south east for several years. I lived there for 14 years and numerous time there were bear sightings. With all the building down there you will seeing more and more of them. Nothing new Catking, just starting to see more of them. My in-laws live just by Cantwell Cliffs and have seen bear track in their garden at times over the last 20 years.

4. catking

catking Banned

Yea, but I live really close to Highland county, which is only about an hour drive from Greater Cincinnati. There hasn't been a bear siting here since I've been around, I know that's not a long time :D , but still when a bear is spotted in Highland County, that's big news. Guesss I'll have to watch where I pick my blackberries from now on :cool: . I know bigfoot has been around here Jackson, but this is a bear sighting :eek: Bigfoot is old news........... :D ............THE CATKING !!!

5. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Yeah, the rumor is true. A female black bear was spotted at Fallsville wildlife area just south of the Clinton County line. About 1 mile from Traphunter's house. I used to live very close to there when I was a kid and I remember one being spotted there back then (25 years ago). Back then it was never proven nor disproven but this time they have actually seen it 3 times and have verified it's tracks. From what I hear, the last sighting was at very close range and the bear showed no agression which is good. But along with bears in SWOH, I personally have seen what I believe was a wolf not far from my house. It was far too large to be a coyote and was definitely not a dog. Perhaps "Wild Ohio" is returning.

6. catking

catking Banned

Hey Tom !! Nice hearing from you ;) Fallsville area hey? That's really close. This is interesting. You are right, I've seen stuff that I hadn't ever seen in my neck of the woods. There is a beaver family that builds a dam across a large creek under a bridge on RT32 heading east. Big old dam at that. Coyotes, bears, beavers, perhaps wolves........this is some good stuff. Lets not forget the HUGE turkey populations now around here. THE CATKING

7. I would be FLOORED to find out ODNR was reintroducing black bears surreptitiously. However, there have been many sightings in the last few years in eastern Ohio which are probably Penn./WV transients. Bears are quite capable of adapting to most any condition and it would not surprise me too much to find out they have made their way this far south.

A wolf down here would be pretty darn significant. I should say a wild wolf would be. Lots of people keep wolfdogs that are better than 70% wolf and look just like a timber wolf.

If you wanna buy one go to Hillsboro:

Chaparral

8. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Catking, there was a black bear hit by a car down in Florence, Ky, about a mile from where I work. Ky. DNR people took a hair sample from the car that hit the bear, tested it, and confirmed it was a bear. This past Thursday, another bear was sighted near Verona, Ky., at a ballpark.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/3537437/detail.html

9. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Yes sure there are bears at fallsville. I live about 2 mins. from fallsville and I know exactly where one was spotted a couple years ago. It was seen eating rasberries. I havent heard about the one spotted this year though.

Dont laugh at me but i am about 99% sure I saw a bobcat there too. :eek:

10. catking

catking Banned

Won't laugh at all traphunter. A rather large Bobcat was seen on our farm a few years ago. There have been a few spotted around mine and your area ;) Heck, Ive seen more wildlife now than I did 30 years ago. CATKING

11. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Fish are in decline, but the animals are making a comback :D

12. catking

catking Banned

That is so true Jackson !!! I have my own theory on that. It is a fact that there are ALOT more wood lands and trees in Ohio that there was 100 years ago. The vast majority of our forest and woods were cleared cut 120 years or so ago. Now, they are back , to some extent, as well as the animals that once roamed this part of our nation. How's that sound :D THE CATKING !!!

13. According to some of the oldtimers ive fish with over the years and a few buddies, pike county is the home of bigfoot, black and brown bears, a panther, bobcats, mt. lion, elk, wolf, gators in the scioto, and my fav. a zebra (but that guy was not quite right). Ive heard allot of things, most i would never believe, but im sure some it has to be true.

Although I could understand a back bear, bobcat, or once tame part wolf, heck ill even through in big foot for imagination.

But if you ever come to pike county watch out for that darn zebra, he will get ya

14. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

An old friend of mine who grew up in Doylestown (Wayne County), SWORE UP AND DOWN that he saw, plain as day, a bear down by Chippewah creek outside of Doylestown while harvesting wild vines for baskets. This was about 10 years ago or so. I was skeptical, but it wouldn't be like him to lie.

So I would say they can make it into NE Ohio by his accounts.

15. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Hey Trap, I grew up right down the road from you and when I was a kid, there was a female bobcat with kittens in the woods right across from your house. We only saw her once the year she had cubs but we sure heard a lot from her at night. The time we saw her, she had 2 cubs, kittens or whatever you call them and our neighbors coon dog (the Rubles) and our dog had her treed. She was spittin' fire but would not let the dogs between her and the kids. She was small but feisty.

16. A few years back a guy shot a wild boar about 3 minutes from my house. I cant remember what he was hunting, but it charged him and he droped it at his feet. Untill then i had no idea they were ever around here. Front page of the newspaper for shooting a pig, imagine that

17. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Hey tom, that is very interseting to know. Unfortunatlly, there is about 20 houses across the road from us now, destroying all the habitat on that side of the road. :eek: :(

This is even more far fetched, but there was said to be a siteing of a black panther behind our house this spring, and the person that told me this was very trustworthy. :eek: ;)

18. catking

catking Banned

Hey Guys & Gals- There was a comfirmed sighting of another black bear, by an wildlife officer in WayneTownship. For those who live in SW Ohio , that would be the Stonelick Lake area :eek: For the rest of you, that would be like seeing an unicorn. There is NO possible reason for bears to be within 35 miles of Cincinnati in an urban area. This I believe, supports my "heard through the grape vine " that the ODNR has reintroduced bears in the SW part of the state. I MIGHT believe they can migrate to southern Clermont county, along the Ohio River, but northern Clermont????? I smell a bigger rat..... Look, I've lived in this area for 40 years or so. This is the first time we have a comfirmed bear siting here, and now this makes #6 within our area???? One had cubs in SW Ohio???? By the way, when I was young, it was unheard of to even hear , much less see a deer. Now they live in the yards................... CATKING

19. I always liked bearskin rugs,are they in Aberdeen yet ;)

20. catking

catking Banned

I would think so truck ;) This one was seen at county rd # 9, which is between Edenton and Blanchester.Guess it's time for DA KING !!! to get out the musket loader and coon skin cap :cool: THE CATKING !!! :D