Ohio Game Fishing banner

Bear Hunt

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  FISHONAJ 
#1 ·
I want to go on a bear hunt in the spring of 2010 and not sure where to go. I would like to stay in the states other than traveling to Canada. Any thoughts ? Thanks..........................Rich

#2 ·
My nephew went some where in Alaska. I'll call him and get you the name .They took two. One with gun and his buddy got his with a Longbow. They were on there own. No guides.They hunted a River when the salmon were running. The shore line had huge rocks for cover. The bow shot was 12 yds!% . I would have soiled myself:eek:

#3 ·
A friend of mine has gone to Maine on two bear hunts. He shot a black bear both times. I am not sure where exactly, it was close to the Canadian border. I will try and find out for you.

Pike

#8 ·
A friend and I went to Dover Foxcroft, Maine several times with 100% success. The camp itself was several miles north of Dover Foxcroft. Can't help you on what guide to use as the one we used, Chuck Scandrik (spelling) died a few years ago. Last time we went was about 10 years ago.

#9 ·
Cast off is correct. There are no more spring bear hunts in Ontario Canada, since the new Ministry of wildlife director decided they didn't need it. That's to bad as the number of bears have increased by severa since they stopped the spring hunt. WE saw many more each spring at our place in Canada. They do have a great Fall hunt though f you want to get a bigger black bear.

#11 ·
Do a search about crossing but if you had it in 2002 I don't think you can get in. A friend of mine had one in 1995 and was denied entry. You may slip through but with the increase in checks and the new computers they installed you'll most likely get turned away. You can apply for a permit to enter but it take a while to get it. There has been several post about just that in the past. Here's what I just found with a quick check:

Who Can’t Enter Canada.
To begin, in Canada a DUI is a felony and therefore an excludable offense under the Immigration Act. A DUI is an indictable offense in Canada that may be punished by imprisonment for up to a 5 year term.¹

Anyone with a conviction in the United States that is treated as a felony or indictable offense in Canada is excludable from Canada, but even if the offense is not a felony or indictable offense in Canada, Customs and Immigration Officers have ultimate authority to permit and deny entry to Canada.²

Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanor drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) can make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of when they occurred. For this reason, it is not recommended that persons with past convictions attempt to enter Canada without first obtaining necessary documents. It is always the final decision of officers at ports of entry to decide whether a person should be allowed into Canada.³

#13 ·
Rich,

Check out Mountain View Camp in Blind River Ontario.
Guides name is Mark Kluding. He's a friend. Moved up there from Norwalk about 10 years ago.
I think hunts are going for 800 or so plus you buy your tag.
The guys that hunt on my property outfit through him.

Hope this helps.
Sam

#14 ·
I'll be back up in Alaska in a few weeks to try my luck again. Did you read my post from the 2006 season? I just rechecked it and the pics don't seem to load anymore. Maybe if you searched under my name you can still see them? I'll post a new report upon my return ;)

AJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.