close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BE Carefull in Ohio parks this weekend!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by H2O Mellon, Apr 1, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I had the afternoon off, took the wife out for lunch (met her in Springfield) After lunch I decided to drive around CJ Brown (Buck Creek) since I hadnt been in years. I went through the campground, then made a right, going on what I thought was Bird road. I guess it was still part of Buck Creek. I saw an ODN car shooting radar, yes an ODN car. The speed limit is 40 mph on Bird Rd, little did I know it the road I was on actually is just a big circle. Anyways a little after I passed the ODNR car, the lights came on. She said I was still on CJ Brown property & she clocked me @ 40mph. After 20 minutes or so she cited me and told me that they were told to crack down on all citations. I honestly think she would ahve liked to let me off, she looked real odd when telling that to me, she even thanked me for being so helpfull & polite. Anyway I seriously hope this is not an attempt to get extra $ from the failure fo the parkign pass ordeal. This is my favorite part, I asked her where the nearest speed limit sign was, her response: I don't really know, I think there is one by the park entrence. Okay, I see........ That part made me really think this is an attempt to gain some $. I figured I'd tell everyone about it, espically since she told me it was a crack down everywhere. I plan on being in court next Friday @ 1:30PM, espically w/ her not even knowing where the speed limit sign(s) were.

[​IMG]

2. i'd cruise thru there again this weekend if i was you. see if and where there is a sign.

3. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

Gather all the facts. Know the motorist concentration (which could not have been very high) and the weather was also good as well. Just a few things which will help you prove that although you were speeding it wasnt "dangerous or hazardous".

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

been there before at alum.. and i was only doing 25mph.. :(

5. THEY WERE ON THE 88 CAUSEWAY AS WELL WITH LIGHTS BLAZIN! :cool:

6. There is a sign right as you enterred the park.
    1st sign says you are entering the park; 2nd sign says 25 mph limit.

I've been pulled over and given a warning one time in the past for doing about 40. This was when i was just a teenager.

Never really seen them writing tickets before.

You may have been an unlucky "example"

7. H2O Mellon

Yes, I know where that is at the entrance of the park, I thought after the campgrounds the main raod would be caught again & taken around the lake. There is a waya round the lake, I've been on it in the past, although its been a LONG time ago.

8. watch your speed at east fork guys, I see them with people pulled over all the time there.

9. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

This time of year they are always busting somebody, real bad now because of that new bike path they put in, the road going across to the dam is going to be real bad as they will hide back in that one spot and can shoot you before you even see them.

Mellon the road you are refering too is Grant, if you were on Bird road and came up to the lights headed North and turned right at the light go down to the first crossroad and turn left that is Grant Road it will take you back to the North end of the lake at the Stop sign you turn left and that will take you into New Moorefield where Buck Creek enters the lake. If you continue on westward that will take you to route 4 turn left and route 4 runs along the other side of the lake it's a ways away from the lake but this time of year you can see the water.

The chick that pulled you over is probably the same one that has always given me a hard time in the Marina, she has tried several times to bust me for throwing a cast net in the Marina, always saying it's not legal, really I get that question a lot from people seems nobody really knows the rules. for years they wouldn't allow people to fish off the concrete that surrounds the Marina, so I would just take my boat up in there and get Shad then she tells me that I better not bump a boat while I'm in there throwing.

I do agree with you on the payback for the parking fees, as they had a sign up when I got my boat tags, I know it said that you could purchase season passes there at the watercraft office, so as not to get hassled by those guys I went and got my boat safety checked already.

Dude you got some real bad luck, good luck in court............Doc

10. H2O Mellon

Thanks Doc. -Hey when are we going fishing. One of the reasons I even stopped by was to see if I saw your boat!-Ha! (By the way the boat ramp was closed)

11. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Yea they keep those upper gates closed till near Memorial day, I was in the Marina around 11pm gathering the bigger Shad for later in the years tournaments, they are still in there thick.

12. Hey also be ware at Alum. I was just there camping with friends. I was cruising in on my motorcycle and got stopped by a ranger saying that i was going to fast and just to be careful. He then preceded to let me off but not without a long talk about "park safety". They are on the prowel looking for people most likley trying to make up for the loss.

13. crappielooker

were they hanging out by alum campground's boatramp?? its a speed trap there..what a joke..

14. Were you speeding? That is what it boils down to.
    Don't blame the officers for doing their job which is keeping EVERYONE safe in the parks.
    I doubt that it would be anyway related to getting extra $$ since the park would see very little if any profit from writing a citation.
    There is nothing wrong with them running radar and making people go the posted speeds to help keep the parks safe for people walking or biking on the same roads. There are probably people bitching because they aren't always in the right place at the right time to catch speeders when there are people on foot or bike using the roads.

15. crappielooker

nope..i sure didn't speed..the posted speed limit is 25mph from under cheshire bridge all the way around the next turn..then it dropped to 10mph.. i didn't even have a chance to hit my brake before he flipped on his light..
    went to court..told the prosecutor my side of the story.. he dropped the charge.. :)

16. H2O Mellon

Parrothead, I guess your missing my point. You say "Speeders" like those people are "bad". I saw the ODN gal, I thought the speed limit was different that what it was, hense the reason I asked her where the speed limit sign was. Send me a PM, I'd love to tell you more, but out of respect for OGF I will keep civil here. The point of the thread was to be carefull in the parks this weekend.

17. It just sounded like you were bitchin' about it is all. I understand what you mean though. I agree to be careful. We should always be careful and always be aware of other park users. Our parks are used in so many ways. It's nice to know that they are used for such diverse activities. Just watch out for the other guy that might not have his head out of his rear end yet.

18. H2O Mellon

Yes I undestand completely.

19. Alum is in the same status. Walk my dog EVERY day for the last 4-5 months on the north side of the camp ground, Yes there are barriers up saying it is closed. Usually i park in the site just inside the barriers and take off walking with the dog toward the campground ramp. Last night the ranger (whom has seen me in there and stopped to shoot the bull numerous times) comes blazing up with lights flashing and tells me that i am illegally parked and i hae 2 minutes to move or i get a ticket. Officer M was a real dick about it. No problem i tell him, i will hightail it back and move my van. He took off like he was on his way to a bankrobbery. All day long they were busting people for rolling stops at Cheshire and old state. be carefull.

20. catking

catking Banned

Probably won't win your case with her not knowing where the speed signs are. What's the saying something about ignorance isn't a defense.....something like that :rolleyes: they always cover their behinds :D If there is one sign posted anywhere especially at the main entrance, they got ya ;) Good Luck ......... thanks for the donation to the parks system :D ................... THE CATKING !!!