Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy was fishing the old bay bridge for catfish, when he caught this. He didn't know what it was and went around if any one knew what it was. He said one guy said it was a carp.:confused: Really? That looks nothing like a carp. Any ways he sent me the pic and I told him it was a bowfin. He said I was wrong, the guy at the bait store said it was a dog fish. I love it when I'm right bowfin aka dogfish. Anyways he caught it in the mouth it was not snagged, which from what I've read and heard is pretty rare. He had it out of the water for about 3 or 4 hours, and after figuring out what it was he went back down to the water to throw it back, and the fish swam away like nothing happened. It measured at 24 inches.

Attachments

·
gotta love bass thumb
481 Posts
nice i caught my first bowfin at the bridge last year. on the bay view side right past the first parking area on the west side. 28 and a half inches. when i was a kid fishing with my grandpa that was the only thing he would throw back. always would say dam dog fish. he used too catch them pretty regular back then that was about 20 years ago. im 27 now and the one i caught last year was the first one ive seen since. mainly fished pickerel creek back then too thats where most of them came from.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I got into those things one day years ago below Wills Creek Dam in Coshoction Co. Saugeye fishing. Fun as hell on a spinning outfit but too ugly to mess with :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Dogfish for sure.Actually they're not that uncommon,I know a spot where you can catch them all day long.I use them for turtle bait.In my book they are by far the best turtle bait available.When they're spawning their fins look flourescent green,pretty cool.

·
Tuscarawas River Angler
2,375 Posts
i catch them from the Tuscarawas River all of the time.............they will eat ANYTHING...........ive caught them on cut bait and live bait while catfishing and ive caught them on a variety of bass baits including spinnerbaits and buzzbaits.............they are AWESOME FIGHTERS !!! watch their teeth !!! ;)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
We catch them in Michigan all the time. They are notorious for killing our chubs while fishig. Nasty fish. I heard they poisionous, don't know if from eating them or the bite. They are hard fighters.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Dogfish for sure.Actually they're not that uncommon,I know a spot where you can catch them all day long.I use them for turtle bait.In my book they are by far the best turtle bait available.When they're spawning their fins look flourescent green,pretty cool.
Anywhere close to us?? I would like to catch one just to say I did....

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
There are a bunch of em in Sandusky bay and East harbor...East harbor has the most I see anywhere in ohio but I hear the tusc river has a whole bunch...Its not uncommon for us to shoot several of them a night when bowfishing East Harbor in april and may. My buddy shot one there this spring that was 32" long. Barely beat the state record in weight but by the time we would have gotten it to a cert. scale it wouldn't have made it.
BTW...Bowfin are not freshwater cod or ling...Thats burbot...I don't think anyone would wanna eat a bowfin...Heard they are absolutly horrible.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Burbot are called freshwater ling. I have never caught one but seeing them from ice fishing pages they do look a little alike. Another name for a burbot is lawyer, because they have no spine.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's not a Burbot,totally different fish.I've caught quite a few Burbot ice fishing the U.P.Burbot are sure ugly but taste great.They live in very deep water and come in to shore just before ice out.After walleye season goes out it's about the only game in town besides perch and whitefish.I doubt there's any burbot anywhere near this end of the lake,too shallow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
that's a nice bowfin there. they are pretty fun to catch... put up a hell of a fight. you can actually catch them in the sandusky bay marsh areas on weightless rubber worms just like you would bass fishing. they are pretty common up there, but the slack waters they hang out in usually aren't the typical spots that most guys fish.

·
Registered
383 Posts
To echo a few others, bowfin (aka dogfish) are really common if you know where to look. They are really tolerant and can come to dominate systems with harsh environmental conditions, frequent oxygen crashes, etc. Bowfin are definitely not of any close relation to burbot or cod.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts