close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battle Royal!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by One Legged Josh, Feb 22, 2008.

1. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

I want to hear your honest opinions on the best pound for pound fighting fish. I personally think some fish just dont fight well at all (Walleye).
    On the other hand some fish are underrated(Carp). Imagine a 10 pound bluegill vs. a 10 pound Bass (gill hands down). Remember: pound for pound.

2. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

Pound for pound I would have to say steelies hands down. Then a distant second I would say smallies and pike tie!

3. I vote for steelhead, king salmon, coho caught out in the Great Lakes. The fight is terrific but they all fall short of the smallmouth once they move into a river. From an inland lake standpoint I'll vote for the smallmouth.

4. pound for pound I say Bluegill.

5. Everyone knows what a 4 oz. bluegill fights like.Could not imagine one at 10 lbs.So bluegill is my pick for hardest fighting fish pound for pound.

6. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

steelies or kings----they burn those reels up and haaaaate prop noise. They get my split vote.

7. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Creek Chub

Come on Spring!!!!Ice go away!!

8. Steelies On The Fly In Spring, All The Way.

9. Pound for pound its Wipers! They dont stop. Ive caught only a hand full of each Wiper,Striper,Steelie,Muskie and ALOT of pike but wipers kick ass!:B Biggest Steelie this fall at 29in and it is one tough fish!!:D

10. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Wipers hands down.

11. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Open lake Salmon, Stripers and Steelhead. Just image the fight of any of these fish at 20 times average size...! :D

12. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Salmon in my opinion with the fish I am familiar with. I don't think a steelhead is even close, but I do like they acrobatic display they can put on.

13. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

I got to go with Wipers also.

14. lots of good ones but lets not forget the arch nemesis...the SHEEPHEAD!!!!:eek: i know we all love to hate them but if you say they dont fight like hell you are lying or havent caught them on erie while trolling or drifting!!!

15. Wipers fight like I would imagine a bluegill of similar size would. So it's a tie.

16. Thick Rick

Thick Rick Dragon Bronzeback Slayer

My father-in-law and I have always said that if someone could get bluegill to grow to 5 lbs plus, we would never fish for anything else. However, my vote would go to Steelhead. I used to think it was smallmouth until I caught my first steelhead. Those fish are insane.

17. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Never caught a Steelhead but from what I have caught, I gotta go with the Bluegill.

18. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

Nothing beats a big smallie on the fly rod!

19. A boatside hook up of a Musky is something everyone should witness first hand but that wasnt the question havent cought steel or salmon. wipers i have cought from buckeye lake and grunts from erie i would say the grunts have to win that fight.

20. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

for me,i think it's close between wipers and salmon.but salmon could have the edge,especially when they're fresh from the salt.i'm sure those lake salmon are tough just because they are salmon.but i think those anadromous fish might be stronger due to their genetics.i just think something(genetically) is lost in the hatchery breeding that comes only with surviving the rigors of life in the salt before they move inland.same goes for steelhead.
    i've never caught a stocked salmon or steelhead,but i have done battle with their counterparts in the northwest.