close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

battery's??

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by peon, Sep 17, 2005.

1. peon

peon account delete

i run a 24# thrust minn kota trolling motor and my battery goes dead after 2 hours on a electric only lake..... should i be getting more out of a battery?? what kind of battery should i get if i need a new one??

2. "J"

"J"

Have the battery checked for a dead cell, then check the dia. of the bettery wiring (should be running at least 6 ga. wire) then if the battery checks good go get another one and run it in parrellel you'll be able to run for a couple of days on two batteries. But chances are you have a dead cell on the battery you are using. Good luck and let us know what you find. Good luck "J"

3. peon

peon account delete

im using the wire thats made on the troling motor with the clamps on it.. i dont want 2 batterys since its a 12 foot boat and cant hold too much weight.. cause im wanting to put a font deck in it...

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

check to make sure there is no fishing line wrapped around your prop shaft. friction there will kill your battery quick. don't put your motor any farther down into the water than you have to. too deep and you will create more drag on the craft.what size battery? #24?

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Peon, regardless of whether or not that is constant use, you should get more than 2hrs out of a good deep cycle marine battery. Are you using a deep cycle marine battery? If so, it's done. They are cheap enough, get one at walmart and keep it good and charged between trips and it'll last you many years.

6. peon

peon account delete

its deepcycle not sure what kind it is.. it was given to me a guy from my bass club had replaced both of his batterys when one went bad and gave them both to me i guess i shouldnt be so cheap and buy a new one lol!!

7. peon

peon account delete

when i went to bass pro a couple weeks ago the guy at the batterys told me id only get about couple hours out of one and mine is probally good..

8. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I get 8 to 10 hours on mine easily. Normal bass fishing moving down the shore. Your battery series may be too small. Get a 29 series battery like the big yellow one from wallmart. I guarentee you will run a ton longer than your current one.

9. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

I agree with Marshall, you should be getting at least 5-7 hrs., out of that battery. Unless your fishing in a sunami. Step up to a 29 series battery, and run trolling motor as slow as needed.

10. peon

peon account delete

these two batterys i was given was on a big bas boat running a probally at least 50 # thrust trolling motor... id say its big enough just bad...

11. If possible, check and add water if needed. Charge at 10amp for 8 hours. Leave it sit of the floor for 8 hours and check the voltage. If its lower than 12.5 its junk! ;)

12. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

There are several factors that will affect the amount of battery juice you use.
    You said it was an electric only lake and you only have one battery so you are using that one not only to fish, but to move from spot to spot.
    If there is any kind of wind at all it will drain faster.
    If you have a lot of weight in the boat it will drain faster.
    If you are running a fish finder from this battery it will drain faster.

13. peon

peon account delete

not much wind.. its a 12 foot boat so i didnt have to much weight in it.. and i have no fishfinder yet... id like to get one but dont want to use two batterys cause of weight...

14. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

Most auto parts stores can and will check a battery and the meter they use will tell if you have a bad cell as was mentioned in another post wallmart everstart batteries are priced well and will last a good while
    Also make sure you are using a good deep cycle charger one that starts at 5-10 amps then steps down to top off and maintain the battery just pushing a straight amperage can cook a battery over time

15. Another way is to get a hydrometer. A fully charged battery should read around 1240 on each of the six cells. A dead cell will read around 1100 and will drag a battery down PDQ. If you had 2 dead cells you probably would not get an hour on it.