Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my used boat, it wasn't running. I got a good deal on it, but as with most used boats, it needed maintenance and upgrading. From poorly crimped wires on the sump pump to the battery terminals, to the battery switch, which was the worst!

Here's some pics of the battery switch clean up and upgrade. If you haven't taken it off and looked at the connections lately, it's only a matter of time before you HAVE to! I have been stuck way too many times on the water, and decided I want to do it right and get increased reliability.
Here is the cleaned up fuel gauge wiring with greatly improved grounding.
Here is the finished battery switch wiring after wire brushing, a VERY light coating of dielectric grease, and wires soldered instead of just crimping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a before and after shot. The terminal lug to the left is what was on the terminal when I bought the boat. A poor crimp, no solder, and the wrong size for the battery stud. To the right I am installing the proper size terminal lug, a stainless star washer to get a good bite electrically, the wire is soldered into the terminal and heat shrink over the end of the wire insulation to help prevent moisture from corroding up inside the insulation.

cecilz iphone 043.JPG

Below in the thumb nail is one of the battery cable terminals as I found it.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts