close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery suggestions?

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by redtailmatt, Jun 13, 2007.

1. redtailmatt

redtailmatt Member

Just bought a new canoe w/ trolling motor (minn kota 30 lb). What type of battery should I buy? Plan on using it (motor) on smaller lakes maybe trolling. Can I get away with a car battery or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a marine deep cycle?

2. There's no doubt, you need a deep cycle marine. You can get one at Walmart for $40.

3. For best results buy the deep cycle trolling motor battery........you can get a decent one from Walmart for like $40-$60, and the best thing is if it craps out on you, just take it back and have it replaced.

4. Haha......great minds, huh Magis?? We posted our responses at the exact same time!

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

go with a deep cycle.a car battery is not made for the constant cycling and you're only wasting money on one.if weight is a consideration,go with a smaller deep cycle.they should be fine for a canoe and you can pick one up for 55 bucks or so.

6. I have one of the deep cycle batteries from BPS that weighs 75 lbs., it's a bear to haul and it is always leaking water or acid. I would really like to get one of the small batteries that is sealed. It would cut down on the weight of my pontoon and I won't have to worry about filling it with water.

Do you guys have any tips for keeping my leaky battery going strong for a few more years? How often do you charge you batteries? Do you charge them after each use?

BlueWater

7. redtailmatt

redtailmatt Member

thanks for the info everyone. Picked one up lastnight.