Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new canoe w/ trolling motor (minn kota 30 lb). What type of battery should I buy? Plan on using it (motor) on smaller lakes maybe trolling. Can I get away with a car battery or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a marine deep cycle?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
For best results buy the deep cycle trolling motor battery........you can get a decent one from Walmart for like $40-$60, and the best thing is if it craps out on you, just take it back and have it replaced.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
go with a deep cycle.a car battery is not made for the constant cycling and you're only wasting money on one.if weight is a consideration,go with a smaller deep cycle.they should be fine for a canoe and you can pick one up for 55 bucks or so.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have one of the deep cycle batteries from BPS that weighs 75 lbs., it's a bear to haul and it is always leaking water or acid. I would really like to get one of the small batteries that is sealed. It would cut down on the weight of my pontoon and I won't have to worry about filling it with water.

Do you guys have any tips for keeping my leaky battery going strong for a few more years? How often do you charge you batteries? Do you charge them after each use?

BlueWater

1 - 7 of 7 Posts