Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - Finally going to transition from a kayak to a pontoon boat, and I'm going to be installing a trolling motor. I know alot of the sizing depends on the wind, but I'm just curious what you guys would do in my situation. I would like to be able to have it running 4 - 6 hours/trip.

Other info:
Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 70# 24v (ipilot)
18' pontoon boat 1500lbs unloaded

I was thinking two 12v 100AH batteries?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a 60hp on there that I would use to get to spots, but I normally like to fish for long periods of time, and just assumed I would spend a good chunk of it trolling around.

I read up and the "group" classifications for batteries and it designates the dimensions, not necessarily the run time, but it said "Group 31's will have 95 - 125 ampere hours" which is around where I was thinking. Is there a brand for batteries you guys really like?

Thanks for all advice.

·
florida ice fishing
14,053 Posts
i would get either group 29 or 31 batteries. the higher the reserve the longer they will run your motor. i would think maby 180 reserve. sears is having a good sale on marine batteries now.
sherman

·
Registered
368 Posts
you need 2 batteries just to run that motor if you have 2 interstate group 31 and you are only using your motor a half or less speed that ill easily get you around 4 hrs there is a web sight for min kota or motorgide that tells you how many amps you draw at different speeds . the main thing is as sood as you are done make sure you charge them as soon as possible and you can get 4-5 years out of a 2 year battery . if it looks like you will use them up in 4 hrs then you need 4 batteries. the newer trolling motors are more efficient than the old ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts