Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was messing around with my boat today and was going to remove my starter battery and was in the process of using a ratchet with an extension and the handle of the ratchet made contact with the aluminum around the hatch at my battery compartment (aluminum bass boat). When it made contact it sparked, was in the process of loosening the nut on my positive terminal. Is that normal to get a spark if the positive comes into contact with the structure of the boat or do I have an electrical short somewhere - the more I think about this I guess my ratchet caused the short but I just wanted to check with this group.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,408 Posts
as Floater99 said - you just completed the circuit to ground (boat)

before next trip out, you may want to check all systems and make sure you didn't pop any breakers or blow any fuses. it sucks when you get out there and something is not working as some damn hidden inline fuse cooked and now you have to search for it on the water and likely in early morning light and cold...

lucky it didn't go from positive terminal directly to negative - that one can be "more" bad...

·
Registered
185 Posts
So I was messing around with my boat today and was going to remove my starter battery and was in the process of using a ratchet with an extension and the handle of the ratchet made contact with the aluminum around the hatch at my battery compartment (aluminum bass boat). When it made contact it sparked, was in the process of loosening the nut on my positive terminal. Is that normal to get a spark if the positive comes into contact with the structure of the boat or do I have an electrical short somewhere - the more I think about this I guess my ratchet caused the short but I just wanted to check with this group.
Your battery should never be grounded to your boat. I’d say you have a short or somebody ran a ground to the hull. You better check it out.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I've seen pictures of guys who have done that and the wrench was touching a ring on their finger. 4 kinds of nasty!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts