close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishintiger, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Ok so Friday I decided to head out to Hoover for maybe some eye action or maybe even some summer time crappie action. I got out on the water and of course the outboard motor wouldn't start. :mad: That's a whole different story. When I first got out on the water I checked the batter power and it said that it was 2/3's full. That can't be because I had charged the battery and left it sitting in the house until Friday morning when I went to leave. My question is could I have done something to the battery to where it won't fully charge now? When I charge it the battery charger says that it is done charging. I wonder if the charger is messed up. The only thing I have done to the battery was the first couple of times that I used it I didn't let it drain completely. I would use it to cruise around a little and then I would charge it. Could this have caused it to not fully charge now? The battery I have is an Everstart Deep cycle Marine trolling battery from Walmart. Thanks everyone.

2. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Have you checked the water level in it?

Gene

3. It's one of those maintenace free batteries so I don't think I can check it. I never thought of that though. Thanks.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

it should have been fine sitting in the house,unless it was for a long time.you also don't need to run it dead before recharging.maybe the gauge is wrong,or the charger is not giving it a full charge.
    if the charge seems lower than you think it should be,take it back to walmart and have it checked.if it's bad,they'll replace it.as new as it is,it should take a charge and hold it.

5. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

Do you by chance have the battery sitting on a concrete floor or on anything else that isn't electrically insulated? Batteries can discharge to ground when stored incorrectly. If you are storing the battery properly take it to a garage or a part store that can test it. If it tests good then your charger may be bad.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

though i store my batteries on a bench in the winter,concrete will not harm them.back in the old days,with the different casings,that was true.but the plastic used on modern batteries will not permit grounding to concrete.over the years,i've left batteries on concrete for months,with no problem.

7. I'll check my battery sometime this week. Maybe I just didn't charge it long enough. It was sitting on a concrete floor but it was sitting on carpet both while it was charging and while it was just sitting there. The self test thing on the battery is green which means it's 70-100% charged which really doesn't tell me much. Couldn't they come up with an area a little closer instead of 30% difference? I'll also read :eek: the manual for the charger and see if it tells me anything. Thanks for the tips guys.

8. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

The indicator on my Everstart quit working after one season, although the battery was perfectly fine for two more years.

9. I hope the indicator isn't bad already. I've only had the battery for maybe 5 months. Maybe the indicator on my batter box is bad. Not that this indicator being bad is any better since I've only had it since January. That wouldn't be good. I'll take it over to Advance Auto and have them test it and see.

10. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

5 mos...shouldn't it be under warranty?

11. I think so. I think it has a one year or maybe longer warrenty. I'll have to check when I get home.

12. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I think it does man. I have 3 everstarts (love em), and from what i remember they have a liberal exchange warranty on them if it calls for it.

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

shake's right.it's covered if it's bad.did you keep the warranty slip?not sure how they'd handle it without that,but walmart is as good as they get with return policies.

14. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

1. If you have a digital tester check to see how much voltage is on the output of the battery, don't do it after a charge wait a few hours as it will always read higher than it's settled voltage.
    This is the chart I have used for years to maintain my batteries on the boat.

1. 12.7 Volts= 100% Charged
    2. 12.4 Volts= 75% Charged Battery needs to be charged 2.25 hours
    3. 12.2 Volts= 50% Charged Battery needs to be charged 4.50 hours
    4. 12.1 Volts= 25% Charged Battery needs to be charged 6.60 hours
    5. 11.8 Volts= 0% Charged Battery needs to be charged 9.0 hours

15. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

doctor , good chart and thanx too. is that the same w 6 or 10 amp marine chargers/??

16. Ok guys. When I got home last night I took the battery over to the garage, hooked it up to the battery box, and pushed the little tester button. Guess what it said. Fully charged. I'm thinking that I didn't let it fully charge last time. Oh by the way I got the battery at the end of the April so it would have really been bad if the battery was screwed up. Thanks for all the information guys. I'll keep it in mind for the future. :)

17. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

even though it is a maintenance free battery , they usually need water at least once a year. check to see if the small covers will pry up.i think only the sealed type batteries are 100% maintenance free.

18. I think I've got a sealed battery. I don't think there is anything that you can pop open and add water. I think I'm going to add another battery so that way I won't have to worry as much about being left on the lake with a dead battery. I'll just have to worry about being left on the lake with two dead batteries. :rolleyes: :D

19. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

I use a manual charger on the 15 amp setting, I only use it during the winter months, the rest of the year my onboard charger maintains the batteries, generally I'll pull the batteries the week I'm off at Christmas clean them and check the water levels, then I'll manually charge them, January I usually don't fish as it is too cold unless I go to Tenn. February is normally when I start fishing again unless there is a ton of snow. I then check the batteries every other months when I'm fishing, I got caught on the river one time during the night with a dead battery, never again that was no fun.