close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery Question..55lb thrust motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by BassMaster19, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Alright guys i fish LaDue a lot and have a 55lb thrust powerdrive minkotta trolling motor (it has the foot control)...my question is that anfter trolling across the lake and back my battery is almost dead? its a minkotta deep cycle battery. its new and holds a charge just drains quickly...is there anyway to link two battery's together? or do they make something to keep a battery charged on a boat? Its just a two seater bass boat and im just trying to find the best way to get out on the lake and not have to worry about my battery dying...any help would be great guys.

2. wballard77

wballard77 junior mint

You can link as many as you want! Hook them up (Positive-to-Positive) and (Negative-to-Negative) this is call parallel!

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Sounds as though you have a bad battery even though it's new. I can go a week with my my 55lb Powerdrive and AC Delco Voyager battery when I have to.
    Are you runnig everything else off that battery too?

4. all i am running is that trolling motor...it just seems to drain and at full throttle the motor isnt giving it all it has like it does on full charge...is there an advantage to running dual batteries?

5. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Since you effectively double your available capacity. However, it can be bad if you have two batteries of unequal charge as the weaker battery will cause the stronger battery to discharge faster.
    I would agree with the battery point. I could run for an entire weekend on a charge on my 36lb MinnKota and it didn't have the maximizer like I think your 55 does. Unless you are running at full power all the time, you should easily get a full day out a a battery without a big loss of power.
    If you decide to do the two battery deal, just take a spare. Don't hook them together as that can be bad as I stated. Just carry an extra in the boat and swap when one is tired.
    I still think you have a bad battery though. Resting voltage should be 12.6 or so. If it's not that after charging or if it load tests poorly, ditch it. If it's new, it may be warranted.

UFM82

6. Your battery should definitely not be dead after that. Either you have a bad battery or something is causing you to draw way more current than usual. Make sure no fishing line is tangled up in the trolling motor (take the propeller off).

If you choose to wire batteries in parallel, I recommend you use the same brand and model battery for best results. For two batteries, simply wire them together as shown:

[​IMG]

Otherwise just carry a spare and switch it out when the first battery dies. I recommend not charging the batteries in parallel, but rather charging them seperately, so they both get topped off.

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

check the water level.. stores have sold many a bad battery, it might just be low on water. add distilled water only!take it back or to autozone and have it tested.

8. I kinda agree, but it depends on usage. I have a 55lb thrust Minn Kota that is used as my only motor and I can go 5-6 hours, but not continuous.

According to the chart printed on the top of my case, it says at 1st speed, you can go 12 hours, while at 5 speed, only 1.5 hours.

I added a second battery as suggested above, just as a backup. I also picked up a cheap battery tester that I can check while out on the water, although I can tell when the motor starts to lose power, and I also set my fish finder to alarm when the battery gets low.

When my first battery gets too low, I swap the wires to the second and now know that I need to be within a battery's distance from the boat ramp, lol

9. I got tired of switching batteries so here's how mine's wired up. TSC had some short heavy battery cables with the ends already on them that made it really easy. I gave them a spray of terminal protector to keep everything nice and clean.
    [​IMG]

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Many times when you buy a battery in the early spring thay have last years batteries in the front. There is some code on the lot # of the battery that tells you the manufacturing date.
    Your battery may be old even though it's new to you. Usually the good ones will have a 3-5 year pro-rated warranty so take it back if you still have the receipt.

11. I pulled the first 5 off the shelf at Walmart and sure enough the youngest two were in the back. The first battery was over a year older than the rest behind it, the last two I got were only a few months newer. I suppose digging to the back of the pile defeats their stock rotation attempts though.