Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering I was at Battery Park this past week end in Sandusky looking at my old haunts there and how much it has changed. There was a strong NE wind blowing and at the corner of the pier were about 20 dead carp 1 walleye and a few white bass and sheep head congragated there all dead???, also several fish strewn about on the pier, probably brought up by birds. Does any one know the cause or reason for this??? Didnt look good I personally do not like to see that many dead fish.

Lazy Eye Mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was just wondering I was at Battery Park this past week end in Sandusky looking at my old haunts there and how much it has changed. There was a strong NE wind blowing and at the corner of the pier were about 20 dead carp 1 walleye and a few white bass and sheep head congragated there all dead???, also several fish strewn about on the pier, probably brought up by birds. Does any one know the cause or reason for this??? Didnt look good I personally do not like to see that many dead fish.

Lazy Eye Mike

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
It's the VHS disease that is causing a lot of fish in Erie to die, mainly sheephead. There are some threads about it in the Lake Erie section. I used to love fishing battery park. But it seems like the fishing has really gone downhill there the past few years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Zebra Mussels play a bigh part in the decline of Crappies in Battery Park.
If you guys remember, they useto have to get teens out in the Marina and rake the grass up so boats could get through, but no more.
Most weeds are gone and the water becomes very clear, so the crappies have moved else where mostly.
Still a few to be had, but not the excellent fishing as it useto be.

Just some thoughts,
JimG

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
Reading up on VHS on the Seagrant website it does not seem likely that the fish kill you witnessed was caused by VHS due to the current water temps. A fish kill has happened every year prior to VHS being dumped into the lake due to the stress of a long winter, other viral infections and spawn fatigue. I have not noticed many fish along the shorelines of Huron this year yet, last year the shorelines were full of dead fish due to VHS.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
The carp probably died while spawning. They end up beating themselves up when they spawn and a few of the bigger fish or less healthy fish don't make it. Right now you can probably go to just about any Lake and see dead carp in the rocks. I fished Indian Lake this weekend and probably seen 15 or so carp in the rocks.
It happens this time of year all the time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just wanted to say thanx for the replies, all interesting thoughts guess to be sure should have some of these DNR Biologist go down there and test some of the fish-----Wish I had my camera that day not a pretty site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts