close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery difficulty

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Warpath, Apr 2, 2005.

1. I am trying to wire my trolling motor batteries and have run into a hitch. I cannot find a place to ground the batteries so they won't arc when I apply the jumper wire. Any suggestions?

Eric

2. You shouldn't get a arc unless, (1) wired wrong (2) short some where (3) something's on drawning current.

Need more info, 12v or 24v, drawning of wiring

Sliprig

3. I have two deep cycle batteries, and I have a lead positive and a lead negative from the front of the boat (trolling motor), and a positive lead and a negative lead from my fuse panel. The trolling motor is 12/24, but I want to rig it 24 volt. I need to use a jumper wire to do this, and I thought if the battery was not grounded it would arc. The only other thing connected to the batteries are the leads from the battery charger, again one + and one - to each.

Eric

4. This boat is going on the water Monday if I have to row it.

Eric

5. U Want To Run 12+24 Off The Same Set Of Batt.?

6. Jig,

I was thinking the same thing. Thats why I stopped where I was at and decided to seek some advice. I was thinking if I connect the batteries so they are 24 volt, then the fuse panel would blow, right? I mean I "want" the trolling motor at 24 volt, but it will run on 12 volt. I would just have two batteries in parallel instead of series and be 12 volt all around. I mean my boat is only 16 foot, and it was 12 volt, 37 lb. of thrust last year. I just wander how much thrust I would lose by going 12 volt instead of 24 volt. It's 60 lbs. of thrust if its rigged 24 volt.

Eric

7. I would say it would be best to run every thing off 24 and step it down at your fuse box. REGULATOR The only down fall is your outboard will fall if you run them dead. BAD NEWS! But the charging is one step. :cool:

8. sparkywest28

sparkywest28 sparkywest28

i think we need more info.Do you have 3 batteries?One for the outboard.What kind of boat do you have?On my boat i have a electric plug in that switches it from 12/24 ,which is really nice.

9. I carry three. Better safe than sorry! I had a 27lb 12v that pushed my 14ft row pretty good at night. Now I have a 14v with a outboard and its to slow. :( 24v is the way to go! I HATE CABLE MOTORS! :mad: CURRPLUNK! :D
    You should be able to run 12v off one batt. I did it all the time on equiptment for back-up,radio and lights. If you get an arc out of one or the other its a short or sometin on. You might consider an extra batt for the gasser and such. Youll have to leave the wife at home. :G

10. I do have a third, completely, separate cranking battery. I am trying to find a diagram of a 24 volt system, but my fuse box for all my accessories run off my deep cycle batteries as well as the trolling motor. My cranking battery is hooked up and ready to go. The deep cycle batteries are only hooked up to the charger at this point. I was concerned initially that the batteries would arch if that weren't grounded, which I cannot find an adequate place to ground them before I start connectiing the batteries.

Eric

11. yOU CAN GROUND EVERYTHING TO YOUR BOAT BUT THE SUPPLYS HAVE TO COME FROM 12 OR 24. I USED MY ALUMINUM FOR GROUND ON 12V. ONE WIRE TO THE FRONT.