close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery cords and chargers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stampede, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I've got the trollin motor charger installed in the boat and i'm sure like me you can't plug it in without an ext. cord.How much difference does it make on the size or diameter of the cord?

2. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

i would suggest a good heavy guage outdoor cord............ :cool:

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Stampede:
    Buy a good 12 Gauge cord. I have a 25' 12 gauge cord for my on board charger. This way you don't have to worry about the cord over heating on you. Well worth the money.

4. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Also does the length of the cord make a difference?I don't know much about electric.I'm using a heavy cord that's 50ft.Does a longer cord cut down on the volts or amps getting to the battery?

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the longer the cord,the more drop.it's mainly amp draw that is the concern.it will overheat if too much is pulled through it,and can damage equipment.with a charger,you shouldn't be pulling that much.use the shortest cord you can.14 gauge should work under 25 feet,and probably to 50,but i would go with 12 gauge.it never hurts to go heavier.it's worth it for the added insurance.and it's cheaper than a charger ;)

6. .....I put a knife switch on the cranking battery. That way, while charging, I can cut off all juice to the motor and any other items, i.e.....depth finders, lights, etc.

I had a problem on my previous boat, burned up the starter magneto or something while charging the batteries.

Knife switch works well for me, you can get one at an RV Dealer.

7. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i have a different charger problem the charger i have is about 5 years old and it dosent charge the battery fully never has i have the red black and green bubble window on the battery it only will charge it to black which is 50% or so it has an automatic deep cycle switch on it which is the cycle i use it has 12 and 24 volt i use 12 in the past 5 years i have gone through 3 batterys i dont know what i am doing wrong after an hr or few the needle bottoms out at 0 and starts to jump to 8 then back to 0 and over and over if the charger is shot that will suck i gave 75 bucks for it and expected a life time of use please help.....jim

8. Don't rely on those colored ball indicators. Use a volt meter and check the voltage after your black ball appears. Your charger (if working properly) will switch between full and low when the battery is fully charged. The only way to determine if the charger is doing the job is with the volt meter.