close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery chargers

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Warpath, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Just wondering how many banks and amps per bank you guys would recommend for my boat. I only have a single bank, 6 amp charger now. I just upgraded to a 24-volt trolling motor though, so I need a two bank charger for the batteries. Is 6 amp enough to charge two batteries overnight, or should I get a 10 amp model.

Anyone have preference to a certain model of charger, or are they all very similar?

Eric

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

If you get a new charger get one with at least 10 amps. per battery. Most of the on board chargers are pretty much the same. Make sure it has an auto shut-off that will kick off when the battery is fully charged then come back on to trickle charge the battery.

3. "J"

"J"

Go with the dual pro brand, but get the 3 bank so you can always have a full charge on the cranking battery also, a little more money but well worth it. The dual pro chargers are the best at customer service I say this with the utmost confidence in them. That's what brings back the customers and make them recomend their products to others.

4. I second the vote for Dual Pro from Charging Systems International. They are great chargers and great to work with if you have issues. I had a problem with my 10amp dual pro after 2 years using it. I called them up and they sent me a replacement for free and even upgraded it to a 15amp!!

www.dualpro.com

I've also heard great things about Stealth Chargers but don't know anyone that has one.

In my opinion 6amp prob isn't enough for 24volt system . Get a 3 bank charger so it keeps crankin and 2 trolling motor batteries charged.

Good luck!

5. "J"

"J"

Mine was 3 years old, they never even hesitated sent me a new one and postage paid the return back to them, didn't cost me a dime. Like I said earlier customer service is outstanding.

6. My main motor has an alternator, do you guys think a third bank is necessary?

Eric

7. Yes I think its necessary. My motor charges my cranking battery too while running but it's still a good idea to get a 3 bank charger from what I know.