close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery chargers

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Warpath, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Hey guys,

Was wondering if you guys can help me out on this one. Just went to a 24 volt system on my trolling motor. I always had two batteries, but I only had a 12 volt motor. My battery charger is only one bank. Since the batteries have a jumper wire between them, will a one bank charger charge both batteries overnight? Or should I just break down and buy a two bank charger?

Also, do you guys take your trolling motor off your boat when you winterize?

Thanks,

Eric

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

First of all, I don't take my motor off. I just make sure it cleaned and dry. Be sure and remove the blade to check for any line that may have gotten wrapped around the blade/shaft. As fir the batterys, you can charge them in series. I would get a two bank charger if you can. I put a new one on my boat this year and love it. If one battery is lower than the other it will keep charging the lower one after the first is charged.

3. I would go out and buy a two bank onboard charger. I bought one about two years ago and will never go back to the single bank charger. Just come home plug it in and forget it . I leave mine pluged in all the time and I have a full charge on all my batteries.Since you have a 24volt system you will most likely carry three batteries. Two for your trolling motor and one for your main engine. I would get a three bank charger. Well worth the money spent. And yes , take that trolling motor off during the winter enless you keep your boat inside out of the weather.....JIM