close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

battery charger help?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by misfit, Aug 23, 2004.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i purchased a minn kota onboard charger(single bank)today.hooked it up,and it seems to feel hotter than it should.this is the first charger of this type,i've used,and just wondered if this is normal.the leads are not hot,but the charger body itself is.
    would the small size,and metal housing cause the heat,or could it be a problem with the charger?
    any ideas/help is appreciated.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Rick:
    How hot is it getting? To hot to touch or just warm. I have a dual charger and it gets hot, but not enough to burn you. As long as the wires are not hot you should be OK.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

dale,i can hold it,but it's more than warm.i was thinking after 8 hours,the leads are not hot,so it must be the nature of the charger.
    thanks.

4. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i have a minnkota single bank charger and it gets warm not hot to the touch. if it is too hot to touch you might have a problem.

5. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Hey Rick,

Check on the back see if it has a large heatsink, a bunch of fins on the back side, my three banker the entire back of it is a heat sink and it does get quite warm........Doc

6. DaleM

Doc, that's where mine also gets warm. Rick after 8 hours that should be fine. I thought mine was to warm also, but after a few months I knew it was working fine and the heat was from the unit doing it's thing. My 15 amp. regular charger also gets pretty warm when I charge other batteries I have here. Keep an eye on it to be safe.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks guys.
    doc,mine is just a solid metal body.no fins like on the bigger chargers.
    like i said,i'm thinking due to the full metal body and small size,it could be normal.the heat has to go somewhere i guess.my portable,with plastic housing crapped and the leads as well as the body,were hot,with the plastic on the alligator clips melting.i've been watching it and the leads are not getting warm,so i think it's fine.just have to get used to it i guess ;)

8. DaleM

Remember Rick, as we get older these new fangled things are harder, and harder to understand! :D

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:rolleyes: i know exactly what you mean :confused: :D

10. Older, wiser and BETTER! :D :D :)

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

and to think i used to be stronger,faster and BETTER :D ;)