close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Batteries for the winter

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by AndroDoug, Nov 20, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I know this question has been asked a thousand times probably, but... What is the BEST way to store deep cells for the winter? Should I bring them inside into the basement and keep them out of the frigid temps in the garage? I know to keep a charge on them, how often should I top it off? What about water?

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i heard to buy a timer and a 1 amp battery charger and have it turn on a few minutes every day.

3. It is not necessary to bring them inside. Make sure everything is electrically disconnected from the battery terminals and inspect and clean if needed. Put a thin layer of grease on the terminals. Fully charge the batteries. After charging, top off the water using distilled water. Charge once per month through the winter.

4. I follow the the same path as Leeabu but I keep them inside and off the concrete garage floor on wooden supports.

5. Food For Thought! Although You Guys Hit It On The Money, They Do Make Atester For Them Like A Coolant Tester. (freeze Point) Also You Dont Want To Load Test A Freshly Charged Because This Is When Liquid Coverts To Gas. Can Be Highly Explosive!

6. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Heres a little known fact, sitting batteries on concrete will not drain them That's a old wives tale. I suppose it came from many years ago when batteries were made in glass containers and were very fragil.

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I have done both leaving batteries in the boat for the winter on a full charge (maint. free batteries) and removing them for the winter and putting them on a charger once a month. It's no different than leaving a car sit for a long period of time. You need to put a charger on those batteries if you are going to leave them sit for several months. Sure, you might go a winter or three by leaving them in the boat, but they'll last longer if you take them out and/or keep a charge on them during the winter months.

8. Hey Captn, I have one of those two bank on board chargers. Could I leave it plugged in all winter? I leave it plugged in all the time between fishing trips and just check the water level every month. Since I am not going to use the boat for about 4 months and never run the batteries down, will this kill the life of the batteries? The boat is kept in the garage......JIM

9. Ive been told by battery men, that the wives tale of concrete and batteries came from Florida vacationers. They would take there battery out and leave it on a patio and leave for months at a time! Well If you let one sit that long it will die down.

10. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Jim, I'd say keeping it plugged in all winter is certainly overkill. Just plug it in the wall once a month to top off your batteries.

11. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

It still amazes me to this day how many people think that storing a battery on a concrete floor will cause it to go dead. BUT, for some reason, put it on a STEEL shelf that sits on the floor and that is OK. :confused:

Most people have never even seen a battery made from anything other than plastic nowadays. Yet, the myth still continues on.......

UFM82

12. That is a good link that Net supplied. There are a lot of good tips in there. I would suggest that anyone curious about their batteries visit that site.

Here is a myth explained on their site.

I have asked the same question that Parrothead Jim did about leaving the batteries on an on-board charger and I was told that it would be fine to do this because the charger will control the amount of charge properly. However, I don't think it is necessary to leave it on the whole time. I would suggest simply plugging it in for a day every month or so just to allow the charger to top them back off.

13. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Just a quick update tip.........not only off of concrete floors....but at least 4' away from a brick/masonry wall.....even if it is studded and drywalled. Kept blowing through mine. That was the reason. Too close to an outside bricked wall. Once I moved the 4th battery into an inside wall, no problems from there on out.

14. Shawn,

So are you saying the "myth" is not really a myth?

This is from the following link.

http://www.marine-electronics.net/techarticle/battery_faq/b_faq.htm#10
    [/color]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  15. I keep mine in the house over the winter. I 'spose it's not really necessary, but I don't want to take the chance of having one freeze, crack the case and leak acid inside my boat. I even set my batteries on the basement floor although I put an old piece of carpet under them. ;-)

Parothead Jim: I have one of those two bank chargers too. I take it out of the boat when I remove the batteries. Minnkota says I can leave it plugged in year round if I choose and will not damage the batteries. Matter of fact they almost made it sound like it was a good thing to leave it plugged in as the charger circuitry will exercize the batteries over the winter by cycling them between discharge, charge and float without any worry of overcharging them.

Barry

16. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Well, after 4 batteries.....and the only one that stayed AWAY from brick survived....I don't think it's a myth. My buddy went through 2 and his 3rd he did the same as I and his survived. Coincicence? You tell me ;)

17. The way I figure it is that I don't have the $100 per battery to conduct my own experiment so I will not tempt the myth.:D It is really no big deal for me to put them elsewhere.

18. Ive Been Working With Batt. For 20yrs. Equipment,trucks,cars Ect... The Last Marine I Bought Was 8 Years Ago(turbostart) From New Castle. I Laid It To Rest Last Week. Every Year I But Them In My Garage On A Block Of Wood. Charge For 8 Hrs On 10amp To Insure A Full Boat.the Charger Will Dictate The Length Of Charge. Most Batt. In The Winter Will Condensate When Being Charged Because Of The Temp Change. Heavy Duty Batt. Such As 4-8d"s Have A Thicker Base Making It Almost Impossible To Discharge Them On Floors. Not Always So On Truck And Light Duty. Most Deep Cycles Now Say They Are Maint. Free. Couldnt Tell You How Many Ive Added Dist. Water To. The More You Heat A Batt. By Charging, The More Water They Require. :) Good Luck! And Be Safe! Bob

19. Some of us have been storing batteries a lot longer than you Young Bucks are old. :p :D Old habits are sometimes hard to break. :eek: :)