close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bats behind shutters on rental property.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TritonBill, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Somehow a family of bats has moved in behind one of the shutters on our duplex that we rent out. I don't like heights and don't really want to go up there and unscrew the shutter with a bats nest in there! Any suggestions? Is that the only way to get them out?

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Ever see that movie Clash of The Titans? Where Harry Hamlin shows that big sea monster medusa's head, and the monster turns to stone?

You could try that approach, but using the following picture:

[​IMG]

:D

Seriously though...I haven't a clue otherwise man. I just love that picture of Shortdrift :D

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

The only experience I have with this problem is solved by removing the shutter and conking the little fellows on the head with a hammer. Deader than a door nail. It sucks, but it works. Oh yeah, do this at the height of the day when the sun is brightest.

4. what kind of fish is that in the pic?

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

A very happy one!

Looks like some sorta Carp, but I'm not sure exactly what.

6. I have one suggestion that may run them out of the area for at least long enough to find a more permanent solution. Once you get them out from behind the shutter you then need to decide how to permanently stop them. You would probably have to somehow seal the area off so that they cannot make it behind.

The other option is to do nothing. Many people are freaked out by bats but they are really not a bad thing to have around as long as they stay outside the house with their dwelling. They will help control insect problems in the area. If they are really only using the shutter as their living quarters I doubt that you are looking at more than half a dozen or so.

7. I think they'll leave with cold weather, check out this web site....they need a warmer place to winter........... hollow tree, cave or inside a building.

http://www.batcon.org/

After they leave, fix the shutter so they can't use it next spring.

8. My wife and I had one in our cabin at Lake Hope State park last November. Started buzzing our heads while watching TV. We laugh now but both were freaked out then. I smacked it out the door with a pillow. :D

9. suck them up with a shop vac

10. suck them up with a shop vac

11. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Bill? Come on! You are afraid of a little bat????? :D Just think of them more like a hamster with wings and fangs, and it might make dealing with them a little easier :D
    Ya know, bats are actually good to have around in the summer to eat mosquitos and other flying insects. Did you know that they sell bat houses at bird feeder stores? I think people are scared of them because of all of the horror movies. My vote is to let them stay :D

12. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Whatever you do be careful!
    My neighbor was moving a large outdoor flower pot for his wife.
    He reached down to pick it up and a Bat bit him on his hand.
    He killed the Bat and took it to the hospital,and guess what..positive for Rabies!
    So he had to undergo all of the shot treatments.
    After this incident,we started finding dead bats all over the neighborhood.
    I also found 4 live ones inside my patio umbrella.
    Those bats should have migrated already!
    Be very careful around any Bat that seems sick or unafraid of you.

13. Lewis is right that there is a risk of rabies and other health hazards involved with bats. However, if they are able to fine a dwelling away from direct human contact they are really not a problem. As Reel Lady said they provide a means of reducing mosquitos and other insects in the area. However, you do not want to try to handle one without proper protection. I don't think any of us want to go through the dreaded rabies shots.:eek:

It was mentioned both here and in the links that the bats are all in hibernation by this time of the year and by Halloween. I know I was seeing them flying around just last week over the lake while fishing so I don't think they have headed to hibernation at least around here.

14. Reel Lady

Aww...come on.... you mean this cute little thing would scare you Mr. Triton? :D
    [​IMG]

15. With a face like that I would only come out at night too.:eek:

16. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

That's not fair! That picture is of the Vampire bat, not exactly representative of the ones around here. I think one of the most common types of Ohio bat is the Indiana bat. They are like hamsters with wings like was said earlier. I would let them leave for winter, then simply caulk up any holes in your house by spring. Don't kill them. They are beneficial and friendly critters.

17. just get a fork lift, pallet, and a reciporcating saw (sawzall)

this will solve every problem imaginable

at least at work it does

and if you really screw it up duck tape or gorrelia glue

18. Reel Lady

Ok, I will admit it...One time about 10 years ago, I went outside to put up the umbrella to our patio set on a nice spring day. Well, much to my suprise, a little bat was all curled up in the folds of the closed umbrella. It actually looked like it was dead, and I began to feel bad for it. LOL... so, out of curiousity, I grabbed a little stick and began gently poking at it. You see, I've never seen a live bat this close before and just HAD to check it out! Well, after giving this (what I thought was dead) creature a couple gently nudges with the stick, it opened it eyes, very wide I might add and then proceeded to actually show his teeth at me! Ok, Ok.... I will admit.. that sight was a bit alarming to me :eek: Seriously, those teeth, little as they may be, are quite intimidating that's for sure!