·
TeamOGF
6,950 Posts
There's a happy man. ;)

·
Administrator
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,581 Posts
I've never been much of a jig/pig man myself...Threw a few last year and did real well on em, but I feel more comfy with tubes. You typically jiggin in the cold stuff?

·
Team OGF
2,132 Posts
I usually slow roll a spinner bait.....

What other bait do you use in the cold water for Bass?

Tee

·
OGF Birchbass Champ!!!
86 Posts
As a shorebound fisher, I like to move a purpleworm along the bottom. As with all coldwater fishing, I do this slowly. I normally retreive spinners too fast for them to be effective in cold water. I just can't slow them down enough.

·
Administrator
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,581 Posts
Suspending cranks can be deadly around here early spring. I always downsize this time of year too.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
In muddy water anything black and plastic usually works for me!

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,356 Posts
Cranks, tubes and worms are all good. I just slow them way down. But anyone that knows me knows about my cranking skills! ;)

·
Northern Ohio Fisherman
257 Posts
Man I've caught so many nice bass on jig&pigs, the smallies on erie really like blk&chartreuse#11's, I've caught them as deep as 30 foot on them, but the last few years I have just been throwin tubes instead with really good results, guess I'm just getting to lazy to mess with the pork. :rolleyes:
This is my first post to the new board, it really looks great,good job!

·
Northern Ohio Fisherman
257 Posts
Your right about that ole rattletrap winner, it' always good for a few fish, as far as the spinnerbait, I've been dragging and jiggin a beetlespin on a 3/8 oz head as deep as 25ft for smallies out in Lake Erie. I stumbled across some 3" beetlespin bodies at odd lots and been catching them anywhere from 2' to 25' the last couple of years.
great little lure. ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
My biggest producers have been Bomber FatA's, Bandit Footloose and 1/4 oz. spinnerbaits from B&D Custom Lures. I agree that you can fish the small lures fast and get good bites.

Since Lake Erie was mentioned, I had tremendous luck with Yamamoto Hula Grubs last year. I will be taking along a mess of those for this years tournaments.

I am happy to see the species specific forums on this site. Good job guys!

·
Northern Ohio Fisherman
257 Posts
JBJ
I've been buying skirts and double tail twisters from Janns for a few years putting together my own grubs, I've caught some of my biggest smallies on them. I like the black/chartreuse and pumpkin pepper combos.
It isn't always the best choice of the day, but it always puts some fish in the boat.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The winning color combo for me last year (plastics) was rootbeer pepper with green flakes. Worms, hula grubbs, tiny brush hogs etc...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I really like flipping tubes and Brush Hawg's this time of year. I also like to fish RatlTraps all year long and always have one tied on. I do make my own jigs and enjoy flippin/pitchin jigs once the water temps get into upper 50's and lower 60's. Jerkbaits are an excellent choice also...my favorite being Smithwick Suspending Rogues.

·
Livin' the moontime
846 Posts
Caught lots of good size LM in March and all but one were caught on a Yamamoto Senko.
EH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts