close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Basses chase lure in but does not bite...

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by soua0363, Jun 17, 2007.

1. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I went fishing Saturday morning at Campbell Lakes Preserve and was throwing a Booyah Super Shad spinnerbait. I saw basses chasing the lure in but then just turn away right before striking it. One time, there were 3 large basses around 15" chasing the lure in at the same time but neither of them took it. Tried throwing soft plastics out there but did not get the same response as the spinnerbait. My question is what to do to get these basses to strike? I tried fast retrieves, slow retrieves, and stop and go retrieves but nothing.

2. I would suggest using a more subtle bait like a natural colored crank bait. If you were throwing the spinnerbait during a sunny day in the middle of the day, the bite is going to be very tough.. maybe early morning will work.....plastics are likely a good bet, but again, make sure that the color matches the conditions

3. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Down size the spinnerbait.
    Thats a pretty big lure!

4. soua0363

I should of downsized to a smaller spinnerbait but it did not even cross my mind. I started to throw Rapala DT4 crankbaits in Bluegill and Baby Bass colors but nothing. It did not get the same response as the spinnerbait. I even threw out a hook and wax worm and nothing. They would swim up to the bait, sniff it, and then swim away.

When I was out there throwing the spinnerbait it was around 8 in the morning. The water was crystal clear. I can see about 4 feet down easily. It just seeems to me that the fishes are used to seeing baits and/or people.

5. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I have been fishing rivers....the water is clear and I have been using white and bright green crankbaits. I have been doing pretty well with those colors.

6. If they are following and not biting, your best bet is not to switch lures but switch colors. or blades. One of the best spinnerbaits on the market for easy and quick blade and skirt changes is secretweaponlures.com. They are a bit pricey, but the things you can do with them are remarkable. I remember fishing a speedworm and having the same response. The fish would follow then turn away when they got close to the boat. i dipped the tail in chartreuse spike it and nailed about 6 fish in 10 minutes. I have had the same thing happen with cranks and spinnerbaits, a simple change in color or design in the same bait always seems to make the difference

7. Are you absolutely sure they were bass?

It sounds like they could be gizzard shad. They do that all the time to spinnerbaits.

A bass will not normally act that way, especially in a school. They are very competitive fish and will do what they can to keep other fish away from a source of food.

8. speed up your retrieve, alot of times you can get em to react when they just see a blur, especially on topwaters. You have to remember that largemouth are easily the dumbest fish in the water, unless there's pike :)

9. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

i agree with the last post....about speed.
    for one a bulky spinnerbait is normally something you wont use if your seeing the bass and changing colors wont help at all. bass are at the finiky stage of the season where they are eating alot of different things. something that falls slowley like a worm/sinko is what will hold there interest

10. soua0363

I am positive that they are basses because they would literally chase the bait in right up the shore line and then turn. The water is crystal clear so you can definately see all the bass distinctions and they were way too large to be shads.

11. I dont know the lake but it may be highly pressured,if thats the case I would make shure the dont see you.As far as a spinner bait long cast and burn the surface might get a reation strike,also mabe a un weighted pastic worm in a natural color even live crawler.Pressured lakes are best at night !

12. soua0363

It definately is a high pressured place to fish. I was out there on Saturday around 7:45 in the morning and it was pretty packed already. I tried casting a Senko weightless and still nothing. I think next time I will try burning the spinnerbait through the areas and see if I can get a reaction bite.