close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bass tipup rigs???

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by BuckeyeTom, Nov 24, 2004.

1. BuckeyeTom

BuckeyeTom Muskie and Catfish

this is peon... and i just got some tip ups and want to target bass with them.. but know very little about bass... could someone inform me on some rigs to use minnows on... thanks :eek:

2. Just go with some lo-vis line as your leader, attached to your main line which should be either nylon or a braided line. Depending on how deep you are, that will dictate the amount of a leader you'll need but you'll want atleast a couple feet of 6 - 8# test - whatever you can get away with. I never used a steel leader unless you had a chance for pike where your fishing. We always used live shiners and placed our tipups on the edge of weedbeds and did quite well on them in PA on Lake Arthur. Hope that helps!

3. BuckeyeTom

i got some braided tipup line made by HT i didnt think a bass would bite on that lol.. i guess a leader would be a good idea.. lol... :p what about hook size and sinkers.. im not sure about bass hooks.. im mostly a catfish man and trout and bluegills... thanks for the info :cool:

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

long time no see peon..good to see you are still around here.. :D

5. Use the least amount of weight possible to keep your bait down. Experiment with them. I usually used your standard split shot and kept it about 2 ft away from my bait to give it some room to be active. Use a thin wire hook, again, as small as you can get away with. The lake I used to fish at had some decent fish in it, so we got away with #2-6 wide gap, thin wire hooks. I think they were the Mustad brand. Good luck!

6. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i use braid and a foot or 2 of flurocarbon 6 lb test ........a split shot as small as you can use to drop the bait down and bronze or gold crappie hooks depending on what they want..........i use the big fat head minnows the shiners seem to die to ez in the cold.........i have had 40 fish days up in ne ohio with 2 or more tip ups going off at the same time bass are great under ice i keep a few smaller ones to eat and put back the big ones only time i keep bass all year and even then it is like 10 a year mabey :p the wife likes them baked ...........jim

7. BuckeyeTom

this is peon

thanks for the replys... sounds good... hey crappie looker.. how ya doin... i dont have the net no more so i just get on toms... i dont do much other then work... im still trying to figure out how im gonna ice fish this winter... ill put the ole lady 2nd on my list when ice is here lol!! hopefully she will come out with me !! then id have a good reason to get a shanty!!! lol if ya see my shanty rockin dont come a knockin lol....