close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bass Scents

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by BuckeyeAngler17, May 24, 2004.

1. I have never used those Spray scents on my lures but does anyone that uses them think they make the lure more productive? I have always done fine without them but wondered if I would do better with them. I also never catch pros using them on Tv in there tourneys but they might not show them using them.

2. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

I use Berkley bass power bait formula, more to cover my scent than anything else, I notice right after I put it on the lure the bluegills go crazy nipping at it.
    I use the berkley power tubes with the stuff mixed right in the plastic and the smallies seem to like it out in lake erie :)

3. JBJ

JBJ

Most of the Pros and Semi-pros that I have talked to use one type or another. If they are not sold on the "attractant" part of the deal, they are on the covering up of human scent on the lures. It always comes down to "I don't actually know if it works but why take the risk". I am personally aware of two people that were having trouble catching fish and when they started using attractants their fishing got better. Both were smokers...

I use BANG either in Shad or the combo of Shad/Craw. In my mind, the fish seem to hold on a tad bit longer since switching over to this brand.

4. I don't think it makes a big difference except when fishing through weeds. The scent seems to "lubricate" soft plastics to keep them from hanging up.

5. I use BANG garlic. Like mentioned earlier, I don't know if it actually helps that much, but I'm afraid if I stop I won't catch any fish. :D ;)
    LaDo

6. I agree with JBJ I think the fish hold on just a little longer I like the spike it in craw and the garlic for smallies

7. Thanks for the help. When you use the scents would you put it on your soft plastics as soon as you get them or would you put it on as soon at you get rigged up? It prolly wouldnt hurt anything to put them on crankbaits either to cover up human scents.

8. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

I would use them as I was riggen. I have not used them lately but in the past have noticed when I get a strike with the attactant on, they tend to hold it in the mouth more so I have a little more time to set the hook. I think they dont really help attract more fish just helps them hold on to it. If it mouths a bait and the bait tast bad they will spit it out.

If the stuff aint too nasty it is always a good Idea before touching the bait to rub it on your hands to hide your sent or the sent of you sun screen or what not.
    Just my 2 cents.

9. JBJ

JBJ

Any plastics (such as Zoom) that do not already come with scent get it added the night before I plan on using them. This gives time for it to soak in if possible. I also spray the lure after I handle it, even hard baits.

10. a buddy of mine has done well and swears by good ol wd40. results baby! i like yum or bang or spike it or whatever

11. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

WD 40 !!!!!????

Oh great. that'll be nice! Now every fisherman is gonna dowse every lure in oily flammable liquid, and why not soak your spool of line it too?? :confused: I have heard that takes out memory in line. Pretty soon every lake will have sizeable oil slicks , killing waterfowl and otters :rolleyes: , causing death tides. :D :p ;)

Good idea...

I soak mine in either arsenic or mercury. Fish hold on and can't let go!

12. Whenever I buy new plastics I put them in a ziploc bag with a piece of garlic, close the bag and then crush up the garlic. I leave it in there for several days and then remove the garlic but leave the plastics in the ziploc bag. They hold their scent a LLOOOONNG time, as evidenced by the smell of my tackle box if the ziploc doesn't close all the way. As stated before I don't know that it attracts fish as much as covers up other scents but it sure don't hurt. And besides for the cost of a piece of garlic it's well worth it.

Scott

13. Go with the garlic!!! Bang. :)

14. It doesn't help them from hanging up. All it does is help them hang on to it longer once the {bite} it!!! :)

15. I've done that to Hawg. Good luck out there!!! :)

16. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

I use Bang and Spike It Garlic Yum Garlic Berkely Power Bait Bass attractant and Legends Shad scent.

17. Give MegaStrike a try. Great stuff and it lasts for hours.

MegaStrike

Scott

18. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I am partial to the anise scent.

19. Another vote for MegaStrike! I've been using it all year with good results.

20. Why isn't there a "bluegill" scent on the market? It seems like bluegills are just as big a part of a bass' diet than either crayfish or shad - especially in Northern lakes.