close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bass pictures

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Flathead King 06, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

Me and a buddy went to my dad's old work pond last night and caught 9 bass...the bad thing about it though was we either missed or lost that many more bass, they ranged from 1/2 a pound to 3-4lbs...and were all caught on a pink floating worm rigged wacky style...they tore it up!!!...saw some HUGE gills swimming around but couldnt catch any, so we're going back out next week to see about them, will try for more pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hey there, just what do you mean by "wacky style"? From the looks of things, you must like to fish at night, 'cause most of your posts relate to night fishing. I hate the mosquitoes, so don't do much night fishing, but maybe I'll have to find some good repellant and give er a try;)

3. Flathead King 06

this is what I mean by wacky style:

[​IMG]

but we only catfish during the night...these pictures were taken at the pond before we left we just keep all the fish until we get pictures and then release them...but all these fish were caught around 7pm-9pm so...more towards the early/late evening

4. TommyV

TommyV tommyv

I believe "wacky style" means that the plastic worm is hooked above or at the "collar" of the worm with no weight or shot. You work the worm slowly by raising the worm toward the surface and letting it fall close to the bottom. That falling action creates a wild, wacky movement on the part of the worm. In clear water you can see this quite plainly. I believe that's what is meant by wacky style. One thing with this technique, and perhaps why they missed a lot of strikes, is that it is a bit more difficult to feel the strikes. In fact, many tend to strike at the wacky worm and swim toward the shore or boat. This makes it harder to get a consistent set of the hook. Personally, I like working a worm wacky style. I think it presents the worm more naturally. It works pretty well in a pond like these gentlemen were fishing.

5. Thanks to all for the explanation of "Wacky Style". I'll have to try it:)

6. Flathead: Sounds like a typical bass-heavy pond. Too many bass that never reach large sizes due to too much competition. Big bluegills result from lack of competition due to over predation from the largemouth. Based on your description it sounds like this pond would be a good candidate for selective harvest of the bass.

I went through about 50 Senkos last week fished wacky style catching well over a hundred smallies in Ontario with the only lost/missed fish due to line breakage. I use a red octopus hook on the rig. Another tip is to use brightly colored line with a 3-4' flourocarbon leader. Don't allow too much slack and set the hook at the slightest twitch. The brightly colored line make subtle strikes much easier to see. From my experience most strikes occur on the fall but they will pick them up off the bottom so let it set with no action for 10 seconds at least. I have never caught a fish on anything other than the first drop and basically apply no action to the lure. One of the magazines recommended putting a rubber O-ring on the worm and hooking through it to extend the life of the bait, good advice since the senkos are costing me about 60 cents each!

7. Flathead King 06

thanks for the tips....the o-ring idea sounds good, Ill have to try it...save me money :D

8. I have picked up a few channels this way too. This one came out of my pond and was hooked on the outside so I might have snagged it, but a few others in public lakes were legit. The hook I described is sticking out behind it's nostril hopefully you can see it.
    [​IMG]

9. The term "wacky" came from a large lake in Texas: a man and his wife asked the locals what they had been catching bass on, they told them plastic worms. The couple bought some plastice worms and came back a few hours later with a catch of LM substancially larger than the what the locals had been catching (including the pro's of that day). They asked them how they caught them and they told them that they had rigged it up with a hook through the center of the worm (just like the picture) and floated it under a bobber. Someone replied "that is the wackiest thing I have ever heard of" and so the term wacky worm was born.

You can fish it under a bobber or slip bobber, but you some wind to create some movement. Works great for suspended bass, you just need to find the depth that they are suspended. I have heard of guys fishing is as much as 17 feet deep. I have heard of guys inserting a finish nail through the center of the worm also to stiffen it.