close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bass Pics 9-13-04

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Pharley, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Hit a local pond this morning for 2 1/2 hours, pretty good fishing despite the murky water. Sun stayed behind the clouds this morning. I brought in 20 bass easily, probably closer to 25. Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]
    She was taken on a 4" brown and chart. worm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These 2 were taken off green Erie Dearies with 3" white grubs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These 2 were taken off 3" tubes. Could not believe I brought in this gill on a 3" tube. She was just a bit shy of Fish Ohio status.

Overall a good day...nothing big, but there were plenty.....average fish was around 14", only had 2 under 12". Tried many plastics, and caught fish on everything except watermelon/orange craw. Caught fish on Dearie/grub, spinners, watermelon bungee worm, 2 different tubes, 4" worm, and floating Rapala minnow. Got most bites gragging plastics on the bottom...got biggest fish on Earie Dearie/3" white grub set up.

Ponds are always open, and I'm off Mon-Tue if anyone wants to check one out.
    Rob

2. Nice fish...since we are on the bass in ponds subject I have a question hopefully someone can answer...I was at a private pond down by Chillicothe on Labor day...my family and I were catching a few bluegills, crappies and a occasional LM...I started to notice early on that whenever one of us was reeling in a bluegill that once it got close to the bank that the LM were swirling at them or whenever I took one off the hook and threw it back that the LM were going after them there to(I think one time one of them got lucky and got lunch :D ) I was wondering what lure or tactic could I use the next time this happens to catch a few of these guys???? Thanks in advance

3. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Use the bluegills for bait....
    Use a very small hook, and a piece of a wax worm, and catch some small gills...3-5", and not too thick. These are your bait.

On your bass pole, set up a bobber (I use a styrofoam weighted one), and put a big bass hook underneath it. Hook the bluegill through the to part of its back, or even through the fin, and throw it out to the deep end. The bobber will move, but you will know when you get a hit on it. I think the gills stick to cover, and by throwing one out in the open, deep water, the bass think they have an easy meal.

4. I have considered that...its my uncles pond and I try very hard to release everything..I caught a 11 1/2" gill out of there in 99 and tossed her back...he probably wouldnt care that a few runts are taken..I might have to give that a try in the near future. Thanks