Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I recently moved up to Lakewood from Canton. I used to fish for bass in a number of local ponds, portage lakes, mogadore, berlin, and salt fork. It seems many people up here fish for trout, steelhead, and walleye. I was hoping to find some good spots within an hour drive to do some bass fishing. I have a kayak so I can do either shore or kayak fishing. I have been to Coe Lake/Beyers Pond in Berea; but most bass seemed to be dinks and Wallace showed no luck. I also tried walker road park on the outskirts on Westlake, and caught a couple dinks as well. I already miss having the honey holes of mine near Canton!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Haven't fished it myself but have seen good things on here about the black river where it meets the lake.

·
Powderfinger
7,540 Posts
Might b a little far but I would try Resthaven near Castalia in your kayak and all the upgrounds like Wellington, New London, Willard, Findley.
My first choices if I lived up there would be the inner harbors of Cleveland, Lorain and Huron and East Harbor state park

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Don't give up on Wallace. There are some monsters in there....just takes a little figuring out. When I still had a kayak it was real hard for me to go anywhere else with Wallace only being 15 minutes away!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't give up on Wallace. There are some monsters in there....just takes a little figuring out. When I still had a kayak it was real hard for me to go anywhere else with Wallace only being 15 minutes away!
I gave up on the trout this morning at Wallace, switched to a green bass worm and caught a decent largemouth in about 15 seconds. It's not what I wanted, at least not blanked

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
I gave up on the trout this morning at Wallace, switched to a green bass worm and caught a decent largemouth in about 15 seconds. It's not what I wanted, at least not blanked
Nice job!! Gotta say, usually from about March on I usually catch at least one or two trout on crank baits while bass fishing. My theory on that is trout are predators and by this time they've been on their own to eat. They want something moving. Rapala scatter raps in Rasta and smash seem to work the best. If your in a kayak, get a decent rainbow trout swimbait and fish the ledges on the south end and see what happens!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice job!! Gotta say, usually from about March on I usually catch at least one or two trout on crank baits while bass fishing. My theory on that is trout are predators and by this time they've been on their own to eat. They want something moving. Rapala scatter raps in Rasta and smash seem to work the best. If your in a kayak, get a decent rainbow trout swimbait and fish the ledges on the south end and see what happens!!!
I don't usually fish much with crankbaits even when bass fishing. I understand they would want something moving, and when I have been fishing for trout, the past week it has been with the atomic trout flies tipped with maggots, letting the waves do the job on windy days but moving them on still days. I just can't wrap my head around how this guy pulled in six in front of me last week and I can't get the bite at all, using his lures - until I eventually lost them all.

When I looked up rainbow trout swimbait, I see tons of pictures of baits that look like rainbow trout. Is that what I am looking for?...I want to catch the rainbows. Geez, maybe I need to get some Skittles :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts