Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked out Bass Island on Sunday. The water looked awesome. Didn't have a chance to fish it just stopped by. Hopefully I will be out on the water today around 1ish. All I hear is great fishing going on now its time for me to have my turn ;). What are people catching fish on out of the LMR right now? I know that the rooster-tails are working but if anyone else has a more productive lure I will check my stock and see or if need be run out to BPS today and pickup the essentials. If I have tons of time today I will run out to the OR creekmouths.

Jake

·
Registered
15 Posts
Green tubes along the sides, or anywhere?

Ive caught just about everything on a slow blue/silver spoon through the current or in deeper water before the rapids. Not much skill, but it gives you a chance to catch a wide variety.. white, crappie, smallies, sagger/saugeye (whatever they are), gar, catfish, drum, and some fish people think is a buffalo carp.

You guys see anything else?

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
I use BPS 2.75 inch or Strike King 2.75 inch, and when I am hunting the bigger fish I use the YUM vibraking 3.5 inch. I use tube insert lead heads (1/16th for the small, 1/8th for the YUM). I am sure you could texas rig the tubes too but I prefer the tube inserts, has better side to side movement when jigging in slow current. Any brand tube would probably work just fine, I just prefer to stay at 3.5inch or less.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What rod/reel setup do you mainly use for smallies. I have a couple UL that are BPS models. But lately ive been throwing my abu 6'6 spinning outfit around with 14lb test. I will probably take it down to a 10lb Trilene XL for the smooth casting. I am not sure if I need to pickup a 6ft Medium-Light/Light model. I love fishing with my UL however im not sure if I hook into a decent sized smallie or any fish for that matter it will hold strong with 6lb test. I have plenty of rods to chose from so whatever you can recommend that will have enough backbone but not be overboard.
I will try and get out and buy some jigs and jigheads today afterwork.

Jake

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hey Skizzy,
I've landed 24" wipers from the LMR on 4.5' UL, 6 lb is plenty, you just won't be able to horse it out of the sticks if it goes into the trees.
Only problem I had w/UL was hookset, sometimes too limber to get a decent set, especially sauger.
LMJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts