Bass Guide Central Ohio?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JignPig Guide, Mar 9, 2008.

1. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

Does anyone think there is a market in Central Ohio on inland lakes for a bass fishing guide? What do you think?
    JignPig out...

2. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Man..........any thing is possible........But in my life time of fishin (61 years) cant say that this whole state can offer up that kind of fishing that anyone would want to spend that kind of money just to catch bass.. I've had many guide friends in the south over the years.........but they are all in areas that offer top notch bass action....... Plus the tourist areas draw( warmer winter weather)......Only knew of one bass and muskie guide here in my area....he lived in Burton..........If you can combine your fishing abilities and other ways to keep the cash flow going your way more power to you........PS. Walleye and steelhead guides (as per Lake Erie fishery).......thats were the doughs at and they bust their a$$ to make any kind of a living ........mostly because there is no quarantee on weather or a dozen other business factors.....It's a tough life............They sure have my utmost respect///////// Jon Sr. PS be glad your not a Erie ice guide this season (what season) 40,000$ plus just for your airboat.....yea right......

3. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I'm pretty sure I already heard of a company that is guiding down on the Wilds. Can't think of the name for anything though.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that's the guy from mad river outfitters.he has a special deal with the wilds,and has exclusive rights...................................and exclusive prices;)

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/t-the-wilds.aspx

5. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

That really is a tough question. mrphish42 brings up quite a few valid points. I doubt anyone will be coming to Central Ohio to catch a trophy bass but there might be a market for people that are travelling with work that just want to get out for a few hours in the evening. There might be some tourney anglers that would be willing to pay for your knowledge on a lake they might be fishing. The question is how much will someone be willing to pay? I do think the market on Lake Erie guiding for trophy smallmouth would be better. Remember those southern lakes don't have big smallies like we do and there are guys down there that would be just as interested in coming up here to fish as some of us would be willing to travel down south. Of course the problem with Erie is the possible bad weather and conditions. You can't really take a client out in 8 footers and expect them to have a positive experience. There is also a lot of pressure involved. If you are charging $250 or more per day how will you handle it if your client doesn't catch fish? I know I would struggle with it which is why I could never guide on a lake like that. With the price of gas it may get harder and harder to make a profit at guiding though.

6. I don't know for sure Reel Man, but if you were to market pictures of the bag of hogs you nailed at Rocky Fork, you might get a few customers.
    Hope to see you down here again this year.

7. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I'll be there the end of May for the Weekend Series. I actually get to fish them all this year! Should be fun and Rocky Fork is one of the better bass lakes in Ohio.

8. Your question about a MARKET in Central Ohio- NO!
    Can it be done? Sure! but at your cost! A few years back I studied this option myself. To many variables to overcome to make a decent profit. Weather in this State will only guarantee 6-7 months of work. There are no Tournaments in Central Ohio that would bring enough interest. I live on Erie and it still would be a very hard struggle. I could go on and on with many reasons why it will not work, but I'll leave it at this: If your well off financially, then go for it! for the love of it! But to make a livable profit, not in this State.. The gas alone will put you in the red, unless you live on a lake, and that lake could provide enough interest, but good luck finding that here in Ohio with our tiny lakes(besides Erie)

Good Luck!

9. reelmanly

reelmanly Set The HOOK!!!!!!!!

Checked this out a couple of years ago my self, and with a couple of attorneys, the real turnoff was the possibilities of stupid law suits ex. ur runnin the lake hit a bogus wave, ask your client if he;s ok, says yes, 3 weeks later ur being sued for back injuries or whatever, sure you may have a clause in your contract and you may win or YOU MAY LOSE, think about the world these days "Money for nothin and your chicks for free" if ya know what I mean and with all the scam artists and atts who look for this kind of thing,,,ya can't even tell a buddy at times where ur findin somewhat big fish without the word gettin out, I was even thinkin Catfish charters but what I got isn't goin to someone else, I know anyone can claim anything but I'm not gonna open up a Pandora's box typr of thing, Great luck if you pursue and have a sharp attorney on retainer.

10. Do you mean like a guide book to your favorite spots? Send me a copy and I'll let you know if there's a market.

11. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

I'm putting it together in the next few weeks. My web-site should be up and running hopefully by April. And I think I've got a pretty good idea of what it will be. Not much pie in the sky hopes. It is what it is... A part-time gig that should be a hell-of-a-lot of fun.
    I'll be guiding inland waters in or around Central Ohio. May not be much money in it. But over time, and with patients, I may be able to build a pretty decent clientele for a retirement spent fishing for BASS!!!

JignPig

12. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Good luck to you! And, let us know what the URL for your website is.