close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bass fishing Question

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by cal447, Oct 31, 2004.

1. This is my first post and I had a question about fishing lily pads for bass. I was at Cowan and the lily pads were brown (dying?). Will these still hold bass?
    Thanks, Chad

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

yes, depends on depth and baitfish in them

3. Cal,

I was always told that anything dying in water can hold fish up to a point. The pads dying give off some nutrients that attract baitfish, and they may hold water temp better than open water. Fish may sit in there especially when it's cooler, say in the morning, and then move out once the day sun warms up the water around it. If there's no other structure available to hold baitfish and oxygen, you can bet there will be some gamefish in those pads.

Eric

4. thanks for the help!

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Plus the dying pads shouldn't release nearly as much nitrogen as would say....coontail

6. I have always heard that weeds or pads that are dying eat up the oxygen content in that water column. That doesnt sound like a good thing for harboring fish...

7. Bassman

Bassman KevinVanDamJr

yeah, dying trees and pads etc.. arent as good cause they dont give off much oxygen. I also thought i read where they use oxygen or somethin like that not sure.

8. This time of year you should try fishing deeper around points and ridgelines. I don't bass fish much anymore, but my buddy lives close and has fished Cowan for 30+ years. We talk often and he does well doing so this time of the year. He says the docks and pads get beat to death while few guys fish the deeper areas.

Just another thought.

9. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

The pads have less oxygen when they are dying because of the microbes that are decaying the material. They use the oxygen in the water there.