Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I went and explored the ponds at Hilliard Municipal Park. The first pond I hit seemed pretty dead, and I only caught 1 dink. The second pond immediately looked promising as there were numerous bass cruising the shallows. I focused the majority of my time at this pond and was able to sight fish a few bass, including a skinny 2 lber caught on a senko. The water temperature was in the 80s, I feel as though I would've been able to land a few more nice bass if the water temp was a bit lower. Many of the bass I saw would just sit in the water and not even flinch when I put my offering in front of it haha.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I had those thoughts exactly. I tried throwing my spro bbz-1 shad swimbait in a bluegill pattern. I got plenty of follows and looks from some nice bass, but not a single one would commit. When I saw them following, I tried deadsticking the lure, speeding it up, slowing it down, twitching it, all to no avail. I think a live gill may have done the trick, but I strictly use lures, so I didn't bother with that option.

·
Registered
180 Posts
try a hollow body frog around that vegetation. those are good little ponds, i caught my first bass there on my first cast with my first crank bait just on the other side of the bridge. When i was in elementary school i would have my parents drop me off there and id fish until they got off work. The pond in the very back of the park is good also its full of weeds. There are some good fish in there i used to catch them on a small buzzbait and a frog.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Those used to be my go-to after work ponds when I was working at Gander down the road. Reaction baits were the ticket for me. Bluegill pattern Red-Eye Shads to be specific.

The pond with the little walking bridge over it usually has some big bass on the rocks under the bridge. Your BEST bet is to catch a 4-5in bluegill and put it under a big cork on a circle hook. ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those used to be my go-to after work ponds when I was working at Gander down the road. Reaction baits were the ticket for me. Bluegill pattern Red-Eye Shads to be specific.

The pond with the little walking bridge over it usually has some big bass on the rocks under the bridge. Your BEST bet is to catch a 4-5in bluegill and put it under a big cork on a circle hook. ;)
Yeah that little walking bridge looked perfect. I worked it for 15 minutes skipping a senko under it with no luck. Haha if there was a bass under it, dangling a bluegill in its face would've definitely worked.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did you get the scale
I bought this scale ten years ago, it is waterproof, floats, and is accurate within .25 ounces. It is an xtoolz grip-n-weigh scale and when I bought it, it went for about $100. Unfortunately, it was discontinued, but if you're lucky, you can find one on ebay for 100-125.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I live down the road, could never catch anything there.
I am a catch and release guy. Only thing I have tried was live bait, night crawlers.
Curious to learn how to use the lures and fish like you did. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a problem, I'm always happy to share information to promote the sport I love! Well, that was my first time there, so by no means am I an expert at fishing those ponds. If you watched my video, you could see that the sight fishing bite was on that day, so that's always one option. Depending on the time of year, different lures will be effective, but during the summer, I would recommend finesse type lures fished slowly in the boiling hot water like a drop-shot rig or shakyhead rig.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was out there last month an caught a couple 3pounders an one five it was a great time i love them ponds does any one no whats all in there i no bass an blue gill but what elsew
Wow thats awesome! I would love to catch a 5 lber anywhere. As far as I could tell, just bass and bluegill in those ponds, maybe a few catfish I'd guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts