close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bass being harvested as a foodfish?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by UFM82, Apr 1, 2005.

1. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

(Cleveland Plain Dealer)

March 31, 2005

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) is investigating plans to declare some species of black bass a food fish, opening thousands of acres of Ohio waters to commercial fisherman. Smallmouth and largemouth bass the two species being considered for the change, although smallmouth bass are the main target species. " The smallmouth bass population in Lake Erie, particularly in the Eastern Basin, is exceedingly strong", ODNR director Sam Speck said. "We feel that with the current trends being as they are, we estimate that an annual harvest of 55 million pounds is not an extreme number. With an untapped market and a newfound interest in freshwater fish in the upscale market place, we feel that this resource is being underutilized." When asked about the impact of commercial fishing on the sports fishing arena, Speck commented that the focus in Lake Erie is more on the walleye and perch population. "Bass are not looked upon as a sportfish in the Erie basins. We do not see an adverse impact on the sportfishing field at all. In fact, we plan to closely monitor and manage this fishery, resulting in a better quality fishing experience for all involved."

The Ohio Legislature is poised to review the pending bill that would change the status of the bass from gamefish to game/food fish, allowing different limits for the different classifications. Sports anglers will be cut back to allow 2 fish per day with the minimum being 15" with the possession limit being 4 in total. Commercials will be held to a limit by weight only. Gillnets will be allowed past a two mile boundary outside of normal shipping lanes. The harvest limit will be determined at a future date after further studies are completed.

I can't believe this. If this is true, what is that going to do to Erie? I can't see the charter business doing well if there are nets all over the place. What have you heard about this?

UFM82

2. I really doubt this especially when the bass are
    now protected while nesting on Lake Erie

3. [​IMG]...............................

4. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

I hope they tell me where they plan to distribute the bass so that way I avoid ordering a fish dinner from there. They should take some and stock it in other lakes and ponds in NE Ohio!!

5. WOW, i hope to god that is wrong. Bass not regarded as a sportfish in Erie? they are THE sport fish in my opinion. I can't believe that the market for bass fillets is that large that they want to commercially fish for them.

6. I'd be pretty ticked if they start netting bass. Something about it just doesn't seem right. I don't like the netting of any fish personally.

7. Sounds like a bad April fools joke to me.

8. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I hope thats all it is, but I've heard that the Japanese really like, and also buy our pond-raised bass to eat. Meaning the special fish farm ponds, that is.

9. This was just mean. :D

10. hahahaa I'd bet that it is an April Fools Joke
    I 4got what day it was...

11. iwdavefish

iwdavefish Fishin' Fanatic

They are also considering ending the muskie stocking program in favor of snakeheads. Supposed to be better fighters. :D

12. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

So whats the scoop? Is this really happening or is this a joke? :confused:

13. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Nothing but a JOKE

14. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

Somebody better tell those clowns up north with the nets, it's a joke!

I saw on bass center earlier this year where Japan is tring to kill all their bass, they said they were taking over the water, killing off native fish? alot of unhappy bassers there!

15. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I think largemouth bass taste pretty good. I always keep a few a year for the deep fryer.

Smallmouth, I can do without. They always go back in.

16. I'll keep the ones that are not goign to make it due to tearing up the gills or such and I agree they are pretty good...
    Had some good smallies from Lake Erie too but I toss back all that will make it...

17. catking

catking Banned

" Not looked upon as a sport fish ".......... That gave it away.........THE CATKING !!! :)