close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bass at Griggs

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BassAngla20, Jun 6, 2004.

1. My partner and i fished the S/T today at Griggs. We caught a boat load of bass, but all just under 12".. was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how we can get into some bigger fish. We worked very slowly with worms and tubes, i pitched a jig but not for long and i picked up some on a small shallow diving shad crankbait along some points and rock ledges but none of them had any size to them. Just thought someone might be able to help me out.

P.S. thanks for Garry and Dale, always love fishing your tourneys and sorry i had to skip before the weigh in, my sister graduated today!!

thanks to all,

Nick

2. Bass-angla,

Did you try to go with a larger crank? Whenever I get into a bunch of dinks on a small bait, I try to go a little bigger and see if any larger fish are hangin' around too. It seems to work much of the time. Cranks have been hot all year from my perspective, so you may have got into a pattern somewhat, you just needed to refine it.

Example: I fished a club tourney at Indian a few weeks ago. My partner was getting swirls/chases from a single-bladed white spinnerbait. Me not being stupid, I tied on a larger white and gold spinnerbait, tandem with some real whump! I caught fish he didn't. Sometimes it is just that easy. Give upscaling your bait a try.

Eric

3. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

What I have found to work sometimes is when you find the fish even if they are smaller, upsizing the bait does help but also scoot out a litte farther from the point and fish a little deeper. Sometimes the big fish are there but they are just a little deeper or farther from the points closer to safe deep water.

If you are fishing actual structure (Timber or brush pile) then fish it super tite because the big fish will be deeper and more in the structure rather than on or around the structure.

hope this helps! ! !

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Bass:
    As you know Garry and I know that river as well as anyone does. You were doing everything right, jigs, worms, tubes and small cranks are and should be great this time of the year. You were not alone. All we caught were small fish. The water color, depth, and level had really messed these fish up. Do what you were doing the next time and you should do fine.