Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ol' pal Steve
1,324 Posts
Those are sweet looking baits. I used to use similar for speckled trout in the Intracoastal in Jacksonville.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s exactly what we were catching on these. Speckled trout. Then we used them in freshwater and caught a bunch of bass.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Used them to get gulf flounder off the beach,id imagine you could get some eyes off them. The "Ohio flavor" seems to be big joshy swim baits.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I actually bought some of those in Mississippi When I was visiting family .I bought those and several other saltwater swimbaits just to bring back to central Ohio to target saugeye. By far those out produced just about every other swimbait I have used.the sea shad also swam very good in cold water.the other saltwater swimbaits I bought for example the h&h cocahoe minnows would stick and not wobble. The sea shad has caught me lots of saugeye over the years along with a ton of wipers .In my opinion I would rank them as a top swimbait along with the big joshy.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sheesh is there a color combo they don’t have?? Cool lookin baits! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Used these in the Key's on the flats,in the mangroves and backcountry around Flamingo in the connecting canal's and river's.Caught snook,red's,trout and even baby tarpon.Great go to lure when you were out of shrimp.I've used similar here and have caught walleye and crappie,just downsized 'em.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I seen the other day, theres a new one out with a square tail. Don't know who makes it, but the action on that tail looked really good.
If anyone knows who makes it, let me know, i think i'll try them.

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Z-man has some nice durable offerings for saltwater as well. I really like their scented PogyZ, with the 'jointed' mid-section. It also works really well in freshwater as a swim or bladed jig trailer. They're a little tough to rig straight due to the elastic properties but have great action. The only downside is the storage consideration with Z-man plastics, which need to be kept separate from other plastics to avoid having a meltdown in your Plano box. I'm a big all the Joshy swims & lately I've been playing around with some downsized offerings for crappies. The Joshy 2.3 has already proven itself to be a staple in my box & recently I dyed the tails of some white 2" Keitech swims to mimic juvenile shad. Mike

·
Registered
484 Posts
I seen the other day, theres a new one out with a square tail. Don't know who makes it, but the action on that tail looked really good.
If anyone knows who makes it, let me know, i think i'll try them.
I think the Storm 360 searchbait/swimbait is what you are referring too. The basic model of the jig heads doesn't have the bill, but the swim model I believe does.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have some big Joshys and use them. I also use the Charlie Brewer sliders a lot for crappie. Sassy shads too but they are pretty thick and don’t swim too good. I like swim baits. I use them on bigger bigger beetle spins type lures (clip on a spinner to a larger jig) and roadrunners.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Do you troll or cast these for the eyes ? Sorry if it is a dumb question but i am a bass guy that tries to catch eyes once in awhile because they taste good lol

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I think the Storm 360 searchbait/swimbait is what you are referring too. The basic model of the jig heads doesn't have the bill, but the swim model I believe does.
Nice looking bait, stark, but the one i seen has the tail coiled up underneath the body, and it opens and pulsates as you reel it.
I guess, that could be bad if you like to pause your retrieve, but the action while reeling was incredible. Who knows, it might have been a late night infomercial, ya know, like 6 of them for $50 or some crazy price.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Nice looking bait, stark, but the one i seen has the tail coiled up underneath the body, and it opens and pulsates as you reel it.
I guess, that could be bad if you like to pause your retrieve, but the action while reeling was incredible. Who knows, it might have been a late night infomercial, ya know, like 6 of them for $50 or some crazy price.
Who didnt buy the flying lure whwn it came out? Lolol

·
Registered
516 Posts
At one time I used them and the Gulp swimming mullett. I have in several colors and will try here in freshwater. I also have Z-man that I have never used and will give them a try as well. Plus at this time I dont want to go in any store or bait shop for nightcrawlers. Stay safe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts