Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is all IM6, IM7 or IM8 the same???

In other words do all IM7 blanks have 40 million modulous or more?

I have seen anything from 33 million - 53 million all listed as high density graphite...some claim 43 mill for im7 while some say 44 mill...am I the only one confused?

I was getting ready to build a three weight but ended finding what I was going to build on Troutlet for less than half of the build cost...that is if all IM& is created equal...if not no big deal, this little seven footer was inexpensive enough, for sure!

·
Registered
571 Posts
thanks ttoutdoors---that was a good read

the most important questoin about any flyrod---

what will THIS rod do in MY hands given MY budget, MY requirements and MY casting tecnique and experience?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

The article seems to indicate what I was beginning to suspect...seemed odd the range of "high density" graphites out there.

I have also noticed there seems to be very little difference in mid-low to mid range rods...at least the half dozen or so I have handled in the last 4-5 months trying to decide on a 3wt. I am talking Cortland, Temple Fork, St Croix, Cabelas and Lower end Orvis....they all seem about the same to me and just seem to vary in price...I am truly not educated enough to discuss anything on the high/premium ranges in fly gear...I would have no clue if I
was getting ripped off leaving the store with a 400-600 rod.

The Cortland 5 weight I toss with now is on the moderate to slow side...in my opinion and was great to learn on..pretty forgiving but not real delicate with smaller flies...that's why I am hoping to come up with faster action 3wt to harrass the Blue Gills with and improve on some finesse casting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It really all boils down to finding a rod that "feels" good to you. Go to the shops and test. However, you can only tell part of the story of a rod by casting in the parking lot of a fly shop. It must be tested on the water. Also, don't let the salesmen tell you what to feel or what you should feel. Go with what You "feel".
I'm pretty sure you will feel the difference in the $500-700 rods. The technology and materials really do make a difference. If you are commited to becoming a good fly fisherman, I suggest investing the money in a good rod and good line right from the start. You will grow into it pretty quick. If it's just going to be something you pick up every now and then, the mid range will do fine.
I wouldn't worry too much about getting ripped off on the higher end rods. They all make some good products. And one is not necessarily better or worse than another. It's all about what fits your casting style and fishing environment. The high end technologies may not be of great benefit to you depending on these factors. Don't let the "hype" make your decision.
I personally build all of my own rods because I can use whatever rod blank and components I choose. Always comes out better and less expensive than the higher end factory rods.
Have Fun,
Todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts