close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Basement Insulation ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sowbelly101, Jul 27, 2004.

1. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

I am currently in the process of finishing my basement off and was wanting to know if I can reuse the Silver faced insulation that they installed around the upper 4 ft of the basement walls. I was planning on cutting it into stripps and putting it between the wood studs from the plate to the floor. any suggestions or concerns that i need to be aware of?

Thanks
    sowbelly

2. catking

catking Banned

You will be fine Pot Belly ;) Make sure you put the foil facing the heated room. CATKING :)

3. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

hey thanks alot, i was wondering when you were going to chime in, i knew you would know the answer im lookin for. should i cover it with a plastic vapor barrier?

thanks again..

4. catking

catking Banned

No need to use plastic when paper/foil is present. This is a HUGE problem now days. Some people think the more the better as far as vapor barrier. Not true. The condensation that forms in the wall MUST have an outlet. If people make their houses air tight, then the results are mold, mildew and othere nasty things ;) I trimmed a house one time that had 2x6 exterior walls with styrofoam sheeting, and insulation with a paper back PLUS plastic. When the house went through it's first winter, the walls sweated so bad that the home owners had to have the drywall removed, the plastic taken off, and just left the insulation with the paper there. Which is already alot since the foam sheeting has a plastic covering. You should never try and make an air tight house. BIG PROBLEMS........... Ya get all that :D .DA KING !!!

5. Reuse it

It's called Tuff R if you need to find more