Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use them or pinch them down on your hooks? It was probably just one of those days but I had a heck of a time unhooking my fish yesterday. I hate it when I catch a dink and feel like I'm going to break its jaw having to unhook it.

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
I was out fishing last night. Begrudgingly, I put on a big Zara Spook type bait. But the smallies were digging it.
After the first fish, I busted out the pliers and smashed down the barbs.
Man, I really, really don't like fishing with treble hooks. But mashing those barbs makes a big difference.
I say smash 'em all!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you're just fishing for fun, I'd say smash em. May lose a couple fish (maybe??), but it makes it a lot easier to unhook them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
93 Posts
I pinch all my hooks barbs, especially treble hooks. I don't do it on really big lures unless they are trebles. Of course if I texas rig or something I leave them in tact. I have lost a few fish, but that happens with barbed hooks too. You will be glad they are piched down when you sink one in your skin.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I hit a nice bass at Hoover this week on a spinner bait. Had my thumb in the usual position when I saw blood on his gills. Popped my bait out and looked down his mouth. Just a big old worm hook all the way. I tried but it just would not come out. Felt so bad for that bass, he just would not take in water to breathe. It was belly up. I am going to get rid of my barbs also. It is not the first time I thought about it. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My little girl winds up her little princess pole like she's got a surf casting rod. Have to keep my eye on her! She nailed me on the back of the leg with a Roostertail one time when were wading and just about ripped it out of my leg. Ouch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hit a nice bass at Hoover this week on a spinner bait. Had my thumb in the usual position when I saw blood on his gills. Popped my bait out and looked down his mouth. Just a big old worm hook all the way. I tried but it just would not come out. Felt so bad for that bass, he just would not take in water to breathe. It was belly up. I am going to get rid of my barbs also. It is not the first time I thought about it. Thanks for the post.
Something similar happened to me this summer. I hadn't been having much luck and I hit surprise LM on my way back to the Walnut Road ramp. I was really excited because it was my first fish from the kayak. Unfortunately the bass swallowed the hook and I couldn't get it out. He swam away but I'm sure he didn't make it. Really ruined my day. Since then, I always bend down the barbs.

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
I only remove the barbs on hooks for plastics so if the fish gets hooked deep I have a better shot at getting it out and not killing the fish.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
274 Posts
I remove the barbs when spin fishing and fly fishing. One, it makes me feel bad to have to remove one if not two or three hooks from a fish. Two, it's annoying and costs me time fishing. I do think I loose some fish-especially when using a treble hook that flops around anyway. I have even cut one of the hooks off in the past.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts