close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Barberton Carp fishin

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by exexec, May 24, 2004.

1. I just heard from a reliable source that they are catching big carp in the streets around the syndertown area of Barberton. The Akron Beacon had a pic of a girl carrying one this am. I don't think you'll need any equipment -she had on a shirt and shorts, so no expensive eurogear needed.

2. First, that fish did not look like a carp to me. Second, the article stated that she was on Barber Rd., which is no where near snydertown. Why is it that everything I see printed in the paper about Barberton makes us look like hillbilly's?

3. I THINK THE 3RD ONE IS THE HILLBILLY PART.......JUST KIDDING.... :D :p ;)

4. Please reread my post - it CLEARLY reads "that a reliable source told me". I did not intend to offend anyone from Barberton, but then again maybe the truth hurts. Some of the folks at a plant on fairview ave were chasing the carp in their parking this morning-I witnessed it. And while the picture doesn't say a carp - it sure looks like one. I am also sure that the folks who fish for carp seriously are offended that you would imply that what i wrote demeans them also. I was just trying to say that it doesn't take all that fancy gear-just a good pair of shorts. Well anyhow it is over now as the water has mostly receded

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Why is it that everything I see printed in the paper about Barberton makes us look like hillbilly's?

Cause I reckon we are. If ya took a gander round the Cherry Blossom festival last weekend you'll confirm that.

6. I attempted to check out used cars at dealers on Barber Road on Sunday. Many were equipped with blue gill or catfish from the canal...

So if you pick up a fish in your flooded front yard, can you keep it or do you need to release it since it wasn't hooked?

7. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Most of the residents of Barberton do not attend the Cherry Blossom Festival. They will go to the parade, but when it comes to the carnival and lakeside events it is the middle and high school kids, residents of Kenmore, Manchester, and etc. that make up most of the attendees. I myself haven't attended the carnival area in over 7 years, nor has anyone that I know. I know a lot of people that live in the lake area leave for the weekend to avoid the mess. Another thing that comes every year with the Cherry Blossom is fighting between schools and a large number of car and house break-ins. When they used to have the carnivals at Barberton Stadium our locker room would always get broken into and equipment and medical supplies would disappear. I also think you will find more residents in Barbeton from Old europe than the hills of WV or KY or where ever hillbillies come from.

8. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

the carp were brought up in the flooding over there.
    i seriously doubt anything big (big by my standards)
    was ''caught''.i would like to think they were put back
    in the canal or river over there :( who knows though.

9. PAYARA

my thouhts on Barberton :eek: ,well to tell the truth i
    hate Barberton,sorry but i do :D .its not the people though,
    (ok,ok,some of them)theres just something about that area that i do NOT like.i really cant explain it,its always been like that for as long as i can remember.i always
    get a kick out of that place though,those odd summer
    nights i find myself fishing lake Ann are always interesting
    and sometimes exciting.only places that rival such interesting experiences is Summit lake,and several
    of the parks in Canton that contain lakes.

10. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Barbertucky is kinda scary. The people at Fracios(spelling?) are pretty nice though :)

11. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I've only lived in Barberton for a couple years now and I don't see the problem people have with it. I grew up in the country and hate the city, but I have about two acres and I am close to everything. They are putting a lot of effort into fixing up the city. The city will even reimberse you for painting your house. Barberton has its areas just like every city.

12. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

yea, but it's so fun to trash talk it! j/k!!!!besides, i live like 5 min away from b-town and almost had to go to school there.

13. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I've heard this is where the West Virginians come if they want to move to the city! Come to think of it, I am a redneck stuck in the city. LOL

14. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I'll bet Payara and Johnboy are from Kenmore. We always got along great at the football games!
    Hey Johnboy. Are you talking about Fran Swaah's(phonetic spelling) on Norton Ave. I was only in there once about twenty years ago to deliver a Domino's pizza. They wanted to pay me for the pizza in the backroom. Skanky!!!
    They're always a few interesting people at Lake Anna on a summer evening. They're generally harmless though.
    That lake has some HUGE catfish in there. Probably a state record channel.
    The proper way to fish it when the weeds are down is to get a high capacity baitcaster loaded with 20-30 lb line. The bobber is a 1/2 gallon bleach bottle. Tied a 30' leader to the bottle and connect to a 5/0-8/0 hook and use a bluegill or two for bait. Have a kid or someone grab the bottle and the hook and walk it around the lake and drop it in the water. Reel the bottle to the middle of the lake and and hold on to the pole. Big catfish in there. Big catfish.

15. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

I've worked in Barberton for 25 yrs and lived in it for a couple of those years. It's no different than any other city in n.e. ohio - has it's share of goofballs, lunatics, bums, whatever. The majority of people are decent average Americans. I do have a problem with the way the city spends it's money though - they are sinking an inordinate amount of cash into fixing up downtown while the rest of the cities roads, etc. waste away. And they can't seem to master how to time stoplights along Wooster Rd. intersections.

16. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Actualy, I live In copley and went to North so thankfully we never had to play barberton. I really don't know how to spell fran swaah's, I've never been there, but unfortunately have met a few of the employees a few times.

17. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

If it weren't for O. C Barber and Barberton as well as J. Seiberling and Akron, there would be no Wadsworth, Norton, Copley, Fairlawn, Kenmore, and etc. That is where it all started for this area. The newer Barberton is alot more diverse than it used to be, but it still has a lot of the original nationalities. What people see is the qowntown area, never seeing some of the awesome homes in Austin Estates, New Haven, the East side or the far West side. The Lake Anna area can get scary as well as down by Decker, or the South end. But I also lived on the Northern edge of Columbus (between Westerville and Worthington) for 11 years and my kids were safer here than they were down there. When we moved back here after growing up here my kids were finally allowed to venture off of our block alone. Most people in B-Town look scary and are rather large (chicken dinner diets do that), but are usually nice people. Go to a free concert (usually not for the young folks) at Lake Anna on a Friday night and you will see the real folks of B-Town.

18. PAYARA

me from Kenmore???? i think not! Kenmore is just
    as bad as Barberton,maybe a step above.iam from
    the heart of south side Akron.Main st. to Grant st,
    Archwood to Cole. inclosed in the box made up
    of these streets is where i come up.some might
    call this area part of Firestone prk.i dont refer to it
    as that.where iam at now i do,but its still the south
    side. :cool:

Barberton dose give off a bad vibes for alot of people.
    going down Wooster just makes me gag.i know one
    thing,if they ever closed that K-mart,B&C,the Speedway,
    or a chicken joint, there would be problems in
    that town.cut off the beer and there would be
    problems only the national guard could clear up.

19. Barberton is an interesting place, I'll give you that. As in most places, the majority of folks are incredibly average, working class people. But, just as in every community, there are some that stand out. ;)

I've covered murders, riots, fires, car wrecks, strikes, gas spills, weather disasters. PLUS award winning teachers, war heroes, lifesavers, HS sports champions, and lots of other POSITIVE stories too. It's a great mix of Americans. BTW, I went to Cuyahoga Falls HS and we're keeping the bell AGAIN this year!!! Sort of an old-time football rivalry. ;)

Great chicken, though. And the dumplings at Belgrade's will put you into a 3 day food coma. It' s worth it though!!! Just not on game-days.

Carl

20. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I forgot all about that bell Carl. That brought a smile to my face when reading that. That was another great football game every fall.

Hey Payara, Kenmore/South Akron same thing!!!!
    Barberton used to be the place. We had PPG, Ohio Brass, B&W, Rockwell, Wright Tool and Forge, Seiberling Tire and Rubber, the list go on. Those companies and jobs allowed the city to build a complete infastructure with very low taxes.
    Most of the jobs are gone now, replaced with B&C minimum wage jobs (we call it burnouts and cokeheads), but the taxes and utilities are still very low.
    All my neighbors except one are in their 70's 80's and 90's. A nice quiet area where everyone watches out for each other.
    Also where else does a city with 25,000 people have a community foundation worth over $100 MILLION to spend on it's residents and projects?