close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baptised Boat and looked for Mogadore Gills

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BIG J LAV, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Made my first trip out in boat I bought. Now all I have to do is find the big gills I've heard about, and add a little JB Weld to keep my feet dry. Any advice on one or the other? I fished east of 43 both shorelines, plenty of action but all small. Some so small I couldn't believe I caught them. Did land 2 real nice bass on the black hair jigs and bobbers i was using. Don't have depth finder yet, but maybe sooner then later.

J-Lav
    ________
    OG KUSH PICTURES

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  2. Congrats on the boat, plan on the money being taken out of your wallet:eek: Spent about 1500 on the boat so far, tuneups and depthfinders and a broken speed regulator! :mad: Any way, can't beat 4000 for a champion bass boat here!
    Give some details on your rig, would like to hear about it!
    Sorry, can't give details on Mogadore, I've never been there.:eek:

3. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I was out at mogadore the past 2 nights. Depends on what you want to fish for. If it is Gills, then I would recommend you fish West of Route 43 rather than east of it. Only my preference I guess. I have found that most of the bigger gills are now off their beds and have began to go to their hot summer haunts, of which are around 12-20 FOW, and fish seem to be suspending around at 10-15ft.

I went hunting for perch last night on Mogadore and I got a few, as well as a few nice gills in the mix. All were released to fight another day.

flash----------------------------------out

4. Thanks for the information. How do you like to fish for the suspended fish? Is everyone more partial to drifting a slip bobber or just counting the reels with a jig to your depth? Does anyone attempth the fine art of trolling out here for panfish? I wouldn't know where to start on lure choice to troll for panfish...:confused:
    ________
    Mercedes-benz m117 engine history

5. BIG-J,
    Buy some of those snelled hooks in the 10 pack that have small beads and spinner blades on them. Put one on the end of you line and a couple split shot up the line about 18 inches. Bait the hook with a small minnow or half a crawler. throw the line out behind the boat and slow troll creek channels or the deepest water you can find in Mogadore. Kinda like mini-walleye trolling(perch are in the same family!) When you hit one, go back over the spot and if you hit another, anchor and fish the school. This works best in the hotter part of the summer-maybe a little early right now. You might be surprised at the numbers and size of the Mogadore perch. You will catch nicer gills as well esp. on the worm-tipped rigs.

6. Last year I caught a 13" perch out of there! It was great and Mmmmmm good. My son, daughter and myself caught some 11" blue gill fromt there too. We had a great time.

7. thanks for the great tip gab i fished mogadore alot and when i say alot mean everyday for about years. mostly for bass but got a few huge perch. and always wondered how to get more of them thanks again this is why i love this site . P.S. if you want to hit it some time pm me

8. KSUFLASH

i have been out at mogadore the past 4 nights from 6:30pm till dark. I have been trolling the creek channels and flats with a floating lindy rig setup. I have been using both crawlers as well as small minnows. I haven't gotten any keeper perch this week. I am still trying to locate them.

I have been concentrating around 15-20 FOW.

If you use crawlers, be ready for a fast action bite with the bluegills. I can't use 2 rods they hit so darn fast. I switched to minnows and I have been getting crappie as well while I slow troll.

If the wind is picked up, you can just drift the creek channels rather than messing with the trolling motor.

Last night I tried anchoring off of some points and jiggin a small cicada tipped with a minnow head. I got some crappie and gills, but no perch.

I am pondering the idea of heading back out tonight. As I was on my way back into the ramp I found a spot holding a boat load of fish in 14 FOW.

flash--------------------------------------out

9. good luck flash i am hitting north res in portage lakes with my dad tonight for bass

10. Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  11. KSUFLASH

If I get out of work at a reasonable time, I will be out there tonight. If you see a solo fisherman in an Arkansas Traveler, with 2 trolling motors on the back, it is me. Swing over and say hey.

flash---------------------------------out

12. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Gonna try and get out there at the end of this week to maybe this weekend.
    Ill be in a green mini aluminum with my dad. He goes out everyday. Has a painting job on the side with a Bass portrait on the front.>DONT ASK
    If I see you guys maybe ill shoot over and say hey.

13. KSUFLASH

I was out last night. I finally found the perch!!! :)

flash---------------------------out

14. What was the averae size if you don't mind me asking? Almost all the "keeper" perch I've caught came from Erie or Pymie, I didn't know this lake held nice perch, You have me interested...
    ________
    Herbal Health

15. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

I always use a white ice ant tipped with a maggot and have never been stumped. Fish the channels and deeper water. I only have good luck for perch and crappie west of 43 but east of CLR is where I find the large gills. Just my openion. Fish where your confidence points you. John